New hires based in the US & Puerto Rico will be required to demonstrate that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or qualify for a medical or religious exemption or accommodation to this vaccination requirement, subject to applicable law.
Our Medical Affairs team advances patient care by engaging in scientific exchange with external medical experts and industry leaders ensuring the scientific value of our products is understood. We connect, communicate and train internal employees to ensure a thorough understanding of the science behind the medicine and review further unmet medical needs to support collaboration to further differentiate our portfolio.
The Cardiovascular & Metabolism Regional Medical Scientific Director is a credentialed (i.e., MD, PhD, or PharmD) therapeutic and disease area expert who engages in both scientific exchange and research support, when requested, with external scientific leaders and investigators in the medical and scientific community. RMSDs provide Scientific Leaders (SLs) balanced, factual, scientific information about non-product areas of interest to our company and responds to scientific questions from SLs, including questions about our company's products and data. RMSDs are responsible for facilitating and developing peer-level relationships with scientific leaders in the external medical/scientific community including those investigators who have potential interest in participating in our company's research studies. RMSDs provide support for data generation activities including our company's sponsored trials and our company's Independent Investigator Study Programs as prioritized and requested by our company's Research Laboratory leadership.
- Identify, establish and manage collaborative professional relationships with national, regional and clinical practice scientific leaders (SLs) and investigators to identify and address scientific needs and to ensure access to medical and scientific information in the Cardiovascular & Metabolism areas of therapeutic interest and our company's data or products
- Conduct peer-level scientific discussions and maintain a reliable presence to ensure SLs have our company's Research Laboratory/ Medical Affairs contact within our company
- Engage in proactive non-product discussions regarding scientific issues (e.g., disease states, diagnosis, epidemiology, unmet medical need, and population health, etc.) that are intended to enhance scientific discussions or inform/guide our company's Research Laboratory/GMA and HH strategy or our company's Research Laboratory research programs
- Facilitate appropriate scientific exchange of information with SLs, including integration of scientific knowledge with actionable insights to inform our company's Research Laboratory and HH strategies
- Communicate external stakeholder opinions, insights and feedback on new data, clinical trends, and the evolving vaccine landscape to Medical Affairs HQ teams to enhance scientific understanding and inform our internal company's Research Laboratory strategies
- Represent our company's Research Laboratory at scientific meetings and congresses and contribute to our company's Research Laboratory debriefs, insight discussions and post-congress reports
- Support data generation activities when requested by our company's Research Laboratory leadership, including our company's Investigator Study Program (MISP), by acting as the primary liaison to investigators interested in developing and performing investigator-initiated research
- When requested by our company's Research Laboratory leadership, work to identify potential investigators for consideration of participation in phase II-IV clinical development programs and provide scientific support for our company's Research Laboratory sponsored trials as needed
- Provide in-depth scientific support to Health Systems Teams within USMA
- Demonstrate and maintain in-depth knowledge of the assigned disease and therapeutic area(s) through educational efforts, including attendance at relevant conferences, scientific workshops, and review of key journals
- Fully comply with all company policies and applicable laws, regulations, and ethical standards
Education Minimum Requirement:
- An advanced degree (M.D., Ph.D. or Pharm.D.), that is relevant to the Cardiovascular & Metabolism areas and requirements of the position.
Experience- Minimum Requirements:
- A minimum of 3 years prior experience in the biotech/pharmaceutical or healthcare environment
- A minimum of 3 years of clinical and/or research experience (beyond that obtained in the terminal degree program) in the Cardiovascular & Metabolism therapeutic areas and demonstrated scientific excellence in the therapeutic areas OR 5 yrs of MSL experience in a relevant therapeutic areas and demonstration of scientific excellence in the therapeutic areas.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, networking, and presentation skills·
- Ability to travel up to 50% of the time overnights and reside in the indicated territory
- Deep therapeutic competency; abreast of trends and new information in the Cardiovascular & Metabolism /translational science areas
- Ability to network and partner with important external customers, including scientific leaders, investigators, clinical practice leaders and academic affiliated institutions, including treatment guideline members
- The ability to consolidate and understand complex data sets, plan and/or execute data analyses, summarize, or synthesize data and objectively interpret results
- Knowledge of national and society treatment guidelines, clinical research processes, FDA regulations, and OIG, HIPAA and other ethical guidelines, laws, and regulations relevant to the pharmaceutical industry and its external stakeholder environment
- Must be able to organize, prioritize, and work effectively in a constantly changing environment
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Recognition for scientific excellence in the Cardiovascular & Metabolism therapeutic areas as demonstrated by sustained contributions to the therapeutic areas via strong clinical, academic and/or translational/basic science research experience in the disease area(s) of interest. Experience in both clinical therapeutic area practice and owner of independent research and publication in the relevant therapeutic area space is highly desirable (i.e., experience in late stage clinical research as an investigator or key study personnel conducting outcomes research, company sponsored trials, or investigator-initiated trials).
- 5+ years of prior pharmaceutical industry experience (Medical Scientific Liaison or other clinical, medical or research related position) in the relevant TA/disease state
- Prior working experience within the given geography and established relationships with relevant therapeutic area stakeholders
- Demonstrable effective leadership skills (by example and through accomplishments), and the ability to step forward to handle challenges within scope of authority
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
We are a research-driven biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is built on the simple premise that if we "follow the science" that great medicines can make a significant impact to our world. We believe that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to world-class science can succeed by inventing medicine and vaccine innovations that make a difference for patients across the globe.
Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for …
Imagine getting up in the morning for a job as important as helping to save and improve lives around the world. Here, you have that opportunity. You can put your empathy, creativity, digital mastery, or scientific genius to work in collaboration with a diverse group of colleagues who pursue and bring hope to countless people who are battling some of the most challenging diseases of our time. Our team is constantly evolving, so if you are among the intellectually curious, join us—and start making your impact today.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
Residents of Colorado
Click here to request this role's pay range.
Current Employees apply HERE
Current Contingent Workers apply HERE
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please click here if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement?
OFCCP EEO Supplement
Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another's thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Employee Status: Regular
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings: 1