Primary focus of this position is to conduct research in nutrition and the growth and development for targeted farm animals. The Animal Nutritionist generates new hypotheses and technology initiatives and develops these into research programs to develop new and improved products. Recognized company-wide as a contributor in specific areas of Animal Nutrition, the employee leads the continued development and improvement of technical capabilities in animal research and is critical to the commercial success of products.
• Be accountable for achieving one or more critical R&D and/or commercial objectives.
• As a team lead in one or more technical areas in biotechnology, identify needs and opportunities, set targets and metrics, create and execute plans to continually develop and enhance R&D capabilities, both internally and externally.
• Lead the proposal, design, planning and execution of biotechnology research projects; participate in others as members.
• Train and mentor junior colleagues in biochemistry, molecular biology, and related fields as well as conducting research experiments.
• Manage project teams to ensure proper execution of tasks and timely delivery of defined outcomes.
• Actively acquire knowledge in the industry, customers, and products, and apply it to improve the quality and performance of new and existing products.
• As a technical expert in specific areas, systematically organize research findings, and proactively develop and share valuable insight with R&D and commercial teams.
• Using appropriate media and formats, e.g. summaries, bulletins, presentations, white papers, and publications, communicate technical information effectively to commercial teams, partners, customers as well as scientific community.
• Assist commercial teams as well as customers in understanding the product characteristics and performance, varying applications, and optimal field evaluations to derive maximum benefits.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education / Experience / Qualifications:
• Ph.D. in Animal Nutrition, or related field required.
• Experience in conducting animal studies to understand impact of factors, such as nutrients and enzyme feed additives, on the growth and performance of animals is preferred.
• Working knowledge of animal nutrition and current feed formulation optimization models & tools;
• Knowledge of product development and commercialization process, industry practices, products, markets and key customers;
• Proficiency in statistical design and analysis of experiments;
• Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate information and knowledge to various audiences;
• Experience in managing projects and teams;
Behaviors & Key Performance Factors
• Strong focus on achieving results, as opposed to completing tasks.
• Strong ownership in areas of responsibility or expertise.
• Understanding of organizational structure, stakeholders, decision processes, and relationships.
• Ability to understand stakeholder needs and manage their expectations.
• Conceptual and analytical thinking, i.e. ability to see the big picture as well as break down a large problem to components.
• Ability to adapt and align priorities to company’s mission and goals.
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities but does serve as a coach and mentor for other positions in the department.
Position Type / Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position. Some flexibility in hours is allowed, but the employee must be available during the “core” work hours of 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
No travel is expected for this position except for travel to approved technical conferences and shows.
Work Environment / Physical Demands:
This position operates primarily in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. The position may also require exposure to livestock animal, working with potential allergens, and the ability to wear personal protective equipment (PPE). While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
BRI provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.