Implement technical activities of a scientific or research group in relation to the operation of specialized laboratories. Acts as an advisor to subordinates to meet schedules and/or resolve technical problems. Develops assay budgets, schedules, and performance requirements. Frequently interacts with other labs and coordinates the program activities with responsibility for results in terms of costs, methods, and employees. Serve as an advisor to faculty and lab managers to meet schedules and or resolve technical problems. Insure Standard Operating Procedures, GCLP and protocols are maintained and applied.
• Perform assays assessing virus-specific responses against HIV
• Process and isolate mononuclear cells from human and nonhuman primate blood and other tissues and conduct subsequent steps involved in the phenotypic evaluation of cells by flow cytometry, including cellular staining techniques and data acquisition, analysis, and maintenance.
• Perform ordering responsibilities for the laboratory, including taking inventory, restocking, submitting orders, managing samples, and coordinating with other lab members regarding their specific assay needs.
• Perform cell culture, virus, and reagent preparation for immunologic and virologic assays.
• Prepare and process specimens for virological procedures, Virus Culture, Real Time PCR, ELISA, Western Blot, and devise experimental techniques for testing and analysis as directed by laboratory manager.
• Maintain quality checks on safety of laboratories, including biohazards and insure maintenance of the facilities according to Good Clinical Laboratory Practices (GCLP).
• Assist to maintain and order sufficient inventory of materials currently used laboratory, supplies and equipment for performance of relative assay including plastics ware, media and specified instrument reagents and instrument QC samples.
• Assist to set up lab equipment used in laboratory related assays. Assist with upkeep such as setup, temperature monitoring, daily verify w/QC, proficiency, operate, perform daily maintenance, troubleshooting, record keeping, etc as instructed
• Perform proficiency tests on [.e. CAP, IQA, UKNEQAS etc]
• Setting up & participate in all aspects of the EQA send outs, [labeling tubes, prepare shipping boxes, shipping labels, aliquoting samples, testing samples, data summary for flow samples etc].
• Perform data summaries, procedural summaries; log keeping, assist in writing up for standard operating procedures, GCLP related policies, methodology, standards, recommendations and QA & QC.
• Perform other laboratory or data management duties, including laboratory maintenance tasks, as requested by the Principal Investigator or senior lab staff.
• Collect information and data through observation, experimentation and various other methods, to include operating highly technical laboratory instruments and equipment.
• Prepare and process specimens for complex immunological and virological procedures, including but not limited to PBMC Processing, Flow Cytometry.
Education, Skills, & Experience Requirements
• Bachelor’s degree in biology or a related field
• Laboratory experience is helpful
• Must be detail-oriented, well organized and approach procedures with critical thinking of the technical aspects with strong communication skills and ability to work in an interactive team environment.