Job: Military Internship: Bioprocess Technician Biopharma Mfg., NCBiotech Veterans Outreach Program, Intern Loc.: Pfizer Sanford-NC, NC
Bioprocess Technician Individual Military Internship Job Description Summary:
This Military Internship is located at Pfizer-Sanford, NC.
• The Bioprocess Technician Internship will provide real-time on the job training in a biopharma manufacturing environment. The Military intern will receive training to become a skilled technician gaining industry knowledge in areas such as Fermentation, Purification, Media Prep, Buffer Prep or other assigned processes in the production area.
• The Military Intern will receive focused training and gain significant knowledge of required unit operations processing and controls. The intern will perform work as part of the production team by executing and completing tasks as assigned. The intern will perform operational tasks related to commercial manufacturing. The Military intern should have prior and/or current experience working in a regulated/controlled type operating environment.
• In addition to processing, cleaning, and operating major process equipment (tanks, fermentation, ultrafiltration units, centrifuges, etc.), job duties will also include routine production preparation tasks such as preparing production glassware and other equipment by operating industrial washers and autoclaves, use calibrated scales to weigh out dry components and use graduated cylinders and flasks to measure liquids. Will also perform laboratory activities such as: performing sample dilutions, pH, and conductivity readings.
• The intern will be responsible for strict adherence to cleanroom gowning requirements and related cGMP (Good Manufacturing Practices), perform duties in a safe manner, follow all SOP and cGMP requirements, and learn/participate in continuous improvement (Lean Six Sigma) activities as assigned.
Additional Military Internship Information:
• The ability to conduct basic math formulations is required. Document and records management experience are a plus. Military roles requiring usage of SAP platforms (G-Army) for inventory controls and/or general operations are considered a high-valued skillset. Prior Military experience requiring attention to detailed instructions and timely documentation requirements are an expectation of this role. Although not required, Military experience in cleanroom environments (typically found in lab and controlled operating work environments) are a plus. For example, if your Military experience includes work with controlled materials or work as a lab tech, dental tech, or related type of role in the medic field, you typically will possess transferable skillsets for this role. Military mechanical backgrounds in various job capacities and those with direct/indirect work with chemical compounds and/or in an environment that requires strict adherence to standard operating procedures (SOPs) and documentation controls are desired.
• In addition, this internship includes participation and completion of the industry recognized BioWork Certification program facilitated in partnership with Central Carolina Community College. This BioWork Certification program is recognized across the Life Sciences industry as a foundational learning program for individuals seeking to establish careers in biopharma manufacturing organizations.
• This Military internship position requires routine lifting, sitting, standing, walking and bending is required. Specific PPE requirements, including clean room gowning, may be required. The intern position routinely interacts with colleagues in manufacturing, warehouse operations, engineering, utilities, calibration, technical operations, and quality control.
What is required for each Individual Military Internship role?
• If you are Service Member in transition within five - six months of your Military exit date, we invite you to explore the following Individual Military Internships made available to you through the NCBiotech Veterans Outreach Program, the U.S. Army SFL-TAP/CSP program at Fort Bragg, NC, and the host biopharma mfg. site.
• Transitioning Service Members should contact the Fort Bragg Soldier for Life - TAP/CSP team to secure eligibility and Military related requirements to participate.
• This Military Internship is located at Pfizer-Sanford, NC. This Military Internship role is up to 12-16 weeks in length and requires at minimum a H.S. diploma.
Your Military experience following SOP (standard operating procedures) and cGMP (Good Manufacturing Practices) are valued. Your ability to work in an environment requiring the ability to complete multiple tasks timely and accurately are required. For all roles, any experience with PowerPoint, Excel, MSWord will be considered a plus yet not mandatory. Exposure to lean six sigma processes, continuous improvement practices, or related training are additional assets for these roles. All roles require the ability to manage and work in a fast-paced environment requiring the capability to complete multiple tasks timely and effectively.
To be considered, service members must be deemed eligible to participate according to all US Army CSP program requirements, considered in good standing with their Chain of Command, have a clean background, and will be subject to passing preboarding processes at the respective biopharma “host” company.
In the Life Sciences, we value the skills you’ve attained throughout your Military career, so we encourage you to think beyond your MOS title and focus on your transferable assets. These Military Internships represent an excellent opportunity to explore your next rewarding career with the Life Sciences!