Job: Scientist, RNA Biology, Ribometrix, Durham, NC
We are seeking a highly motivated Scientist to join our RNA Biology group and contribute to the development of the Ribometrix platform. This person will be part of a team that is responsible for expanding the Ribometrix platform with novel biochemical and cell-based assays and will have a key role in keeping Ribometrix at the cutting edge of the RNA-targeted small molecule space. The position provides opportunities to explore the chemical biology of RNA while collaborating extensively with colleagues in the RNA Biology, Lead Discovery and Chemistry teams and to contribute to both the science and strategy of treating disease by targeting RNA. An ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience working with both in vitro transcribed and cell-derived RNA, cellular reporter assays, NGS libraries, and routine molecular biology work such as vector design and RT-qPCR.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Design and execution of novel cellular and biochemical assays, including reporter assays
• Execution and analysis of novel RNA-focused NGS experiments
• Preparation and characterization of in vitro transcribed RNA, including custom labeling
• Perform complex data analysis and interpretation to generate conclusions and next steps that drive the science forward
• Support multiple tasks and maintain attention to detail in a fast-paced environment.
• Stay up to date with the current scientific literature
• Work collaboratively and lead by example to promote our Ribometrix Core Values: Integrity, Collaboration, Innovation, Empowerment, Resilience, and Fun.
• BS in Biology, Chemistry or related field with 12+ years experience; MS in Biology, Chemistry or related field and 9+ years experience or PhD in Biology, Chemistry or related field (Level will be awarded commensurate with experience)
• Extensive knowledge and experience in an area of RNA biology (e.g. RNA processing, translation, splicing, etc.) is required.
• Experience developing, implementing and troubleshooting biochemical and/or cell-based assays is required.
• Experience with the Illumina sequencing platform, including data analysis, is preferred.
• Strong experience with modern molecular biology techniques is required.
• Experience with command-line software (eg Python, R, etc) is preferred.
• Experience performing routine mammalian cell culture is required.
• Experience working with small drug-like molecules or tool compounds is preferred.
• Strong initiative, problem solving skills, desire to learn, attention to detail, and ability to effectively organize and prioritize are required.
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a diverse and dynamic team is required.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, professional maturity, proactive communication skills, and strong written and verbal communication and presentation skills are required,
• Strong initiative complemented with a sense of accountability, sense of urgency and adaptability is required
• Experience working in drug discovery, especially in an industry setting is preferred.
• Previous experience in a startup/entrepreneurial environment is preferred.