Job: SQL Developer, Institute for Medical Research, Durham, NC
The Institute for Medical Research, (IMR), a private nonprofit organization that conducts cutting edge research for the Durham Veterans Affairs Health Care System (DVAHCS), is seeking to hire a SQL Developer. The successful candidate would be employed in the laboratory of Dr. Stephen Freedland, a nationally recognized leader in urology research. The Freedland Urology Research Group primarily examines prostate and bladder cancer in veterans with a particular focus on lifestyle, race, and risk stratification, and is supported by numerous federal grants as well as leading industry sponsors.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to be part of a highly productive and dynamic team of researchers. The SQL Developer is involved with the collection and management of large amounts of clinical data and will need to learn considerable knowledge of clinical research methods and clinical presentations of urologic diseases. Applicants must have the ability to: work independently in a fast-paced environment, prioritize and manage the workflow of multiple projects, sit for long periods in front of computers, and be fluent in English.
1. Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Information Systems/Technology, or other relevant field.
2. At least 3 years of experience as a SQL developer, data analyst, or other relevant work that aligns with the qualifications of this job
a. Must have at least 3 years practical experience with Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL or T-SQL
3. Intimate familiarity with relational database tools, theory, design, and analysis
4. Extensive experience with procedural SQL stored procedures, triggers, user defined functions
5. Ability to design and implement table structures following principals of normalization
6. Ability to write SQL queries and sub-queries to accurately and efficiently acquire data from large datasets with complex table structures
7. Experience with version control
8. Experience with JIRA and MS Access development is a plus
9. Experience with R, Python, and VBA is a plus
10. Highly organized, detailed oriented with the ability to manage multiple tasks, changing priorities and deadlines
11. Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team
12. Ability to solve problems, troubleshoot, and quickly and independently learn new skills
13. Capacity to communicate both written and orally with an array of research team members
Data Collection & Reporting
1. Access VA databases and repositories to programmatically identify research study cohorts and extract research data from patient electronic health records (EHRs)
2. Coordinate with VA database administrators to, to add study cohort EHR data to designated VA research databases, and for other general database maintenance activities
3. Assess the quality of clinical data sets to identify data limitations and errors; work with study team to resolve coding errors and data discrepancies.
4. Promptly respond to time-sensitive data query requests with data summary reports and diagrams to support research study feasibility decisions and/or research proposal development
5. Facilitate manipulation of data between different formats (excel, csv, etc.)
Database Backend Design and Maintenance
1. Develop and maintain backend database structures for clinical research study databases
a. Design and build relational database structures
b. Create and modify tables within existing databases
c. Advise on decisions regarding the expansion of or changes to a study database based on best design practices.
2. Model data collection requirements to inform backend development plan for research studies
3. Elicit and integrate user feedback and testing into database backend structure designs
4. Ensure data security including privacy protection, backups, etc.
1. Document work related to database and query design through the use of comments, codebooks, and good programming practices
2. Produce graphical documentation of work including entity relationship and consort diagrams
3. Utilize version control as part of code development and documentation
4. Recommend new methods for collection and documentation of data
5. Revise and maintain procedural manuals and training materials, as needed
6. Provide written, oral, and/or electronic status reports of assigned tasks
Collaborate with Team Members
1. Communicate with collaborators around the country to advise on topics related to data management, data abstraction, and compilation of multiple datasets across sites
2. Work with research coordinators to ensure all procedures adhere to HIPAA and IRB compliance
3. Correspond with VA technology departments to address/resolve IT needs and problems
4. Provide input on project decisions related to timelines, feasibility, and other relevant issues working with team leads to make sure work is completed in timely manner for project deadlines to be met
5. Participate in team meetings on a frequent and regular schedule
6. Train additional team members, as necessary
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties. Employees are expected to perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
The salary range for this position is $75,000-$90,000. Salary will be commensurate with abilities and experience. IMR offers a competitive benefits package which includes health insurance, a matching 403b retirement savings plan, and paid holiday, vacation, and sick leave. All IMR employees are required to obtain a WOC appointment at the DVAHCS. As a result, the successful candidate must undergo a federal background check and may be subject to a drug test prior to final hiring. IMR employees must reside in the state of North Carolina; applicants who currently live out of state must be willing to relocate. We will not sponsor applicants for work visas. We are an equal-opportunity employer.
Please submit your application online by visiting the SQL Developer job posting at freedlandlab.recruitee.com.