Job: Business Intelligence Lead Developer - 114388, Duke Human Vaccine Institute, Durham, NC
Lead and facilitate the specification, design, architecture, development, implementation and maintenance of administrative databases, data marts, data warehouses and business intelligence dashboards and reports for the Duke Human Vaccine Institute and serve as a liaison among executive/departmental leadership, database owners, development staff, users and processors.
• Serve as lead developer regarding business intelligence system design requests and issues; represent design team in meetings; provide input in determining project scope; define design parameters of the project.
• Work collaboratively with DHVI executive and departmental leadership to gather requirements and develop a unified business intelligence strategy that will be highly leveraged to capitalize on business insights and support DHVI in making strategic, tactical and operational decisions.
• Oversee project management and cross functional communications related to business intelligence initiatives.
• Coordinate design, implementation and maintenance of databases, data marts, data warehouses and business intelligence dashboards and reports for the Duke Human Vaccine Institute (DHVI) to include executive leadership, financial, human resource, facilities, project management and operational record databases.
• Determine standards and style for design capabilities to ensure a high level of design and coding efficiency consistent with current standards and trends.
• Oversee data stewardship, prepare guidelines for use in all administrative data automation efforts and establish a common definition for each automated data element provided or used by more than one department.
• Develop, implement, and oversee various programs including, but not limited to, procuring necessary resources, evaluating ideas, and managing objectives and priorities to optimize effectiveness.
• Assist data users and applications development teams in planning efforts by advising them of data conventions and definitions. Resolve conflicts arising over the creation, control and use of data; develop and enforce database use guidelines.
• Serve as main interface to developers, instructional designers, and project staff.
• Provide guidance to other developers and coders to ensure top-level design and efficient code that is consistent with the intentions of the developers and client.
• Develop and recommend information systems policies and procedures. Collaborate with Director on team assignments, workflow, and scheduling.
• Work collaboratively to liaise with departmental leadership and peers within DHTS and Duke OIT to design, develop, build, test and maintain the hardware and software infrastructure which the DHVI business intelligence platform will reside upon. Participate in technical committees and task forces.
• Establish and maintain an index to all administrative data and provide information to users regarding location and accessibility of data; monitor requests for and creation of administrative data.
• Provide consultation and training sessions to DHVI users of databases, data marts, data warehouses and business intelligence dashboards and reports. Serve as a liaison to database owners, vendors and/or administrators to ensure current training, equipment, conventions and updates are maintained.
• Develop complex data sets and processes using the SQL programming language and ETL tools in a data warehouse environment.
• Develop and improve data visualization and analytics tools to help teams identify and understand key measures of business performance and track progress towards goals.
• Critically evaluate information gathered from multiple sources, test and evaluate information and reconcile any differences from expected results and ensure consistency among similar reports when necessary.
• Ensure that external and internal regulations and policies governing data management are met including regulations concerning security, auditability and privacy.
• The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.
• Six years of progressive full life-cycle enterprise database development experience to include design, implementation, tuning, backup, recovery, modification and reorganization of enterprise administrative relational databases for a large/complex computer network. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE.
• Preferred Skills:
o SQL / TSQL (Queries, Views, Stored Procedures, Functions, Triggers)
o ETL (Extract, Transform and Load)
o Data Mapping & Modeling
o SAP Business Objects, Cognos, Crystal Reports, SSRS, Power BI, Tableau or similar Business Intelligence (Bl) dashboard and report writing tools
o Agile Project Management
o Excellent oral and written communication
o Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook)
Required Qualifications at this Level
o Education/Training: Generally requires a Bachelor's or an Equivalent Combination of Relevant Education and/or Experience
o Experience: Four years professional experience with full-cycle enterprise software development and support including data architecture design (transactional and warehousing), integration, and security. This should include 2 years experience with Web services, Win and Web form development, as well as experience with complex application security models. Or an Equivalent Combination of Relevant Education and/or Experience
o Skills: SQL / TSQL (triggers) C# XML / XSLT .NET Webservices VB.NET ASP.NET PARI