Job: Lab Research Analyst I - 109190, Duke Human Vaccine Institute, Durham, NC
The Duke Human Vaccine Institute (DHVI), an international leader in the fight against infectious diseases, is seeking a highly motivated individual for the position of Lab Research Analyst I. Investigators at the DHVI conduct basic and translational research to develop novel vaccines, therapeutics and diagnostics for diseases such as COVID-19, HIV-1, tuberculosis, influenza, and Zika.
The Duke Regional Biocontainment Laboratory (RBL) is a division of the DHVI and supports a wide portfolio of research programs. The RBL has three collaborative core units: Immunology, Virology, and Microbiology. The Lab Research Analyst I will work with the RBL Immunology team and Duke Investigators to plan, run and analyze Luminex assays, QuantiGene gene expression analysis, flow cytometry experiments, and other immunoassays such as ELISA. In addition, the Lab Research Analyst I will instruct lower-level laboratory personnel, troubleshoot technical issues and perform general laboratory maintenance.
• Perform a variety of complex technical duties involved in conducting research laboratory assays; perform experiments and determinations to obtain data under standard operating procedure (SOP)-driven best practices; compile, analyze, document, and draw tentative conclusions from experimental results.
• Prepare and process specimens for immunological procedures, including but not limited to: commercial and lab-developed Luminex assays, ELISAs, flow cytometry, PBMC processing and other techniques; devise experimental techniques for testing and analysis as directed by unit manager.
• Attend all required training and comply with all safety and operations procedures; assist the unit manager/principal investigator with lab audits and reports.
• Confer with unit manager/principal investigator to review work assignments and develop plans for experiments; make modifications to existing laboratory procedures and techniques to meet the needs of the particular study as required.
• Maintain organized records of lab/experimental notes and data.
• Ensure all samples are stored correctly and cataloged in the appropriate databases; ensure all essential reagents and supplies are ordered and stocked.
• Become successfully trained to independently perform laboratory procedures in Biological Safety Level 3 (BSL3) laboratory conditions on occasion, as necessary.
• Develop, write and maintain SOPs to standardize best practices with respect to assay performance, equipment use, and workflow procedures.
• Coordinate equipment maintenance performed by outside vendors.
• Assist in grant/contract application preparation by obtaining cost information/quotes for research reagents, etc.
• Supervise, train and instruct lower-level laboratory personnel in laboratory techniques and procedures.
• Assist with preparation of study plans for collaborative projects by planning and executing experiments to address study questions and hypotheses.
• Perform additional work duties as requested by unit manager/RBL leadership.
Applicants must be willing to:
• Work with hazardous biological agents handled at BSL2 and BSL3
• Comply with vaccination requirements when necessary
• Complete US Department of Justice screening for Select Agent registration
• Complete Select Agent registration at Tier 1
• Achieve external certification for independent work at BSL3
Required Qualifications at this Level
• Education/Training: Work requires a bachelor's degree in botany, biology, zoology, psychology or other directly related scientific field.
• Experience: Work requires two years of research experience. A related master's degree may offset required years of experience on a 1:1 basis, e.g., a two year master's degree in lieu of two years of experience. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
• Proficiency with immunological assays such as Luminex-based cytokine assays, ELISA, and/or flow cytometry preferred but not required.
• Must be able to manage multiple and rapidly changing priorities and have ability to quickly learn new skills.
• Must be detail-oriented, well organized with strong computer and communication skills and able to work in a team environment