Job: Senior Director of Research, Inhalon Biopharma, Inc., Durham, NC
Reporting to the Chief Development Officer and closely interacting with the clinical development, translational, and process development teams, the Senior Director of Research will perform a critical role in guiding and executing the pre-clinical and translational strategy for the Company. Key functions will include design, coordination and execution for in vitro and in vivo monitoring assays performed both in-house and with third-party contractors in support of the ongoing and planned clinical trials. In addition, the role will have oversight responsibilities to the new product development group and the interface with the CMC/clinical/translational development teams as well as oversee the company wet-lab activities. This role has a high level of complexity requiring wide technical and scientific expertise and involving multiple techniques, projects and interfaces. The candidate must be able to demonstrate a track record of successful management experience, preferably in the context of an immunology-focused corporate environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Senior Director of Research will also be responsible for communicating very complex immunological and inhalation concepts to potential partner and investors. Thus, he/she should have excellent communications skills and possess the ability to translate complex science to partners and investors who may not possess a strong scientific background.
1. Be a team-player who is able to successfully interface with both the executive management team as well as with the R&D
group. Outstanding communication skills, including the ability to distill complicated scientific data into lay-language are critical
for success in this role.
2. Design and execute complex studies requiring highly organized data collection and management.
3. Contribute to key executive management activities for the successful execution of company strategy.
4. Establish and have working operational knowledge for key analytical methods (flow cytometry, cell line development for
manufacturing of recombinant proteins, RT-PCR, recombinant molecular biology techniques) to support in-house development
and characterization studies.
5. Support transition of new candidates from R&D to Clinical Manufacturing department:
• Cell line characterization
• Research cell stock manufacturing & testing
• Cell culture platform evaluation
• Analytical fit-for-purpose studies
6. Interact with multiple colleagues in a dynamic environment. Be willing to take on new projects outside the ‘normal’ course of
business. Be highly motivated.
7. Author technical documentation (reports, abstracts and manuscripts) from both basic pre-clinical development as well as clinical
immune response data.
8. May develop immunological functional assays for key company projects.
9. Collect and analyze data and maintain compliant records of laboratory research and development.
10. Prepare data for technical reports, publications and grants.
11. Meet with collaboration partners and investors to communicate scientific progress.
This position may require domestic and/or international travel.
NOTE: This position summary is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Significant experience (15+ years) in immunology strongly preferred with a thorough working knowledge of key assays and personnel management experience required. Candidates with academic leadership and/or corporate R&D management experience and publication histories will be strongly preferred. The successful candidate should have laboratory experience in most or all of the following fields: mammalian cell culture (adherent and suspension), molecular biology techniques (PCR, sequencing, restriction mapping), genome analysis, bioanalysis (e.g. FACS, ELISA, assays of immune cell function). Working knowledge of mucosal biology is advantageous.
A successful candidate must possess exceptional attention to detail, organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills, and demonstrate critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Must have the ability to perform several tasks simultaneously to meet critical deadlines and the independent initiative to solve interdisciplinary problems. Candidate must be sharp, self-motivated, and able to thrive in a fast-paced dynamic biotech environment where flexibility, tolerability to rapid change, and drive to make a significant impact is essential. He/she should have a flexible mind and thrive on generating creative problem-solving ideas. Must enjoy working in collaboration with others and small teams to achieve goals through effective building of relationships with co-workers.
About Inhalon Biopharma:
Inhalon Biopharma is a rapidly growing startup with a patented breakthrough technology for preventing and treating acute respiratory infections such as respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), metapneumovirus (MPV) and SARS-CoV-2. The Company just completed a Seed round and has been awarded funding by the US Army to run a Phase 1/2a study in COVID-19 patients and has multiple NIH/SBIR grants to develop its pipeline of treatments for RSV, MPV, and influenza. Inhalon operates out of Durham, NC and the SF Bay Area. The Company plans to start a Phase 1/2a COVID-19 study in mid-2021 and file an IND for its RSV+MPV program in 1H 2022.
Inhalon offers a competitive compensation and benefits package as well as an environment where your contributions can make a significant difference.
Inhalon Biopharma is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.