Job: Business Intelligence Developer - 94789, Duke Human Vaccine Institute, Durham, NC
Coordinate and monitor the design, implementation and maintenance of administrative databases, data marts, data warehouses and business intelligence dashboards and reports for the Duke Human Vaccine Institute and serve as a liaison among database owners, users and processors.
• Design, implement and maintain databases, data marts, data warehouses and business intelligence dashboards and reports for the Duke Human Vaccine Institute (DHVI) to include financial, human resource, project management and operational record databases.
• Oversee data stewardship, prepare guidelines for use in all administrative data automation efforts and establish a common definition for each automated data element provided or used by more than one department.
• Assist data users and applications development teams in planning efforts by advising them of data conventions and definitions. Resolve conflicts arising over the creation, control and use of data; develop and enforce database use guidelines.
• Establish and maintain an index to all administrative data and provide information to users regarding location and accessibility of data; monitor requests for and creation of administrative data.
• Monitor database performance and serve as quality control agent for usage of databases, data marts, data warehouses and business intelligence dashboards and reports. Provide backup and recovery services for University databases.
• Provide consultation and training sessions to DHVI users of databases, data marts, data warehouses and business intelligence dashboards and reports. Serve as a liaison to database owners, vendors and/or administrators to ensure current training, equipment, conventions and updates are maintained.
• Develop medium to complex data sets and processes using the SQL programming language and ETL tools in a data warehouse environment.
• Utilize data application program interfaces (APIs) to transmit and receive data to and from multiple data sources.
• Develop and improve data visualization and analytics tools to help teams identify and understand key measures of business performance and track progress towards goals.
• Critically evaluate information gathered from multiple sources, test and evaluate information and reconcile any differences from expected results and ensure consistency among similar reports when necessary.
• Ensure that external and internal regulations and policies governing data management are met including regulations concerning security, auditability and privacy.
• Provide initial authorizations to application developers on test databases. Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
• The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.
• ETL (Extract, Transform and Load)
• Data Mapping & Modeling
• SAP Business Objects, Cognos, Crystal Reports, SSRS, Power BI, Tableau or similar Business Intelligence (Bl) dashboard and report writing tools
• Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook)
• Education/Training: Work requires a Bachelor's degree in mathematics, computer science, or a computer related field.
• Experience: Work requires 4 years of progressive programming or database administration experience to include design, implementation,tuning, backup, recovery, modification and reorganization of relational databases for a complex computer network. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE