Job: Scientist I-III Flow Cytometry Specialist - Translational Medicine, Asklepios BioPharmaceuticals Inc, Research Triangle Park, NC
Asklepios BioPharmaceutical, Inc. (AskBio) is a privately held, clinical-stage gene therapy company founded in 2001 based on the work of adeno-associated virus (AAV) gene therapy pioneers, Jude Samulski, PhD, and Xiao Xiao, PhD. We are driven to change lives with every clinical advancement and turn hope into cures with new possibilities for genetic medicine. We currently have clinical trials ongoing for late-onset Pompe disease and congestive heart failure.
AskBio is headquartered in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, a thriving biotechnology hub, and has additional research and development facilities in Edinburgh, Scotland, and gene therapy manufacturing in San Sebastian, Spain.
We are excited for our next Scientist I-III Flow Cytometry Specialist - Translational Medicine to join the AskBio team!
About the role:
We are seeking a Flow Cytometry Specialist to join our growing Translational Medicine team at AskBio supporting pre-clinical and clinical AAV gene therapy programs. The ideal candidate will have expertise in multiparameter flow cytometry from instrument set up and maintenance, to panel design, assay development, and qualification. The successful candidate will be able to work independently and in team settings and will train other lab personnel on instrument usage. This position will be the primary point of contact for flow cytometry related lab operations in the Translational Medicine team.
• Design and optimize multiparameter staining panels and protocols to characterize cell populations (Innate, B & T cell) by flow cytometry.
• Participate in all phases of flow cytometry laboratory operations including blood or tissue processing, staining, acquisition, data analysis and interpretation in conjunction with translational team members.
• Responsible for daily instrument calibration, modifications and adjustments of instrument parameters as needed, while maintaining quality and compliance of a 5-laser flow cytometer.
• Create and maintain SOPs and training programs for flow cytometer usage, specifically instrument use/ etiquette, safety, data analysis and data interpretation.
• Maintain inventory and/ or place orders for basic reagents and materials needed for continuous operation of flow cytometer.
• Prepare reports and contribute to technical discussions and presentations to internal and external stakeholders.
• PhD with >2years or MS with >6years of experience in life sciences or clinical field (ideally in immunology or biochemistry) of demonstrated flow cytometry experience supporting pre-clinical and clinical studies in industry and/or academia.
• Expertise operating, maintaining and troubleshooting multi-color (>3 laser and >12 color) flow cytometers such as BD FACS LSR Fortessa and/ or spectral flow cytometers such as Cytek Aurora.
• Proficient in third party flow cytometry data analysis software such as FlowJo or FCS express, graphing, and statistical analysis of data.
• Must have strong track record of designing, developing and qualifying flow cytometry panels for immunophenotyping and assessing cellular function e.g. intra-cellular cytokine staining, cytokine arrays etc.
• In depth knowledge of laboratory testing regulations (GLP, GCP or CLIA) is preferred.
• Must be able to work in BSL2 or more environment.
• Must possess basic office skills such as using a PC and working with MS office tools (Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
• Experience with ELISAs, cell-based reporter assays, ELISPOT and microscopy is preferred.
• Comfortable in a fast-paced company and able to adjust workload based upon changing priorities
• Technical teaching experience is preferred and/or strong interpersonal and verbal skills, in order to explain complex flow cytometry principles clearly and concisely to all experience levels