Job: Senior Scientist (Protein/Genetic Engineer), Mucommune, LLC., Durham, NC
Mucommune, LLC is an early stage research and development company that builds on more than a decade of pioneering pharmaceutical research in mucosal delivery and antibody technologies. Our mission is to develop platform technologies to improve the female reproductive health through non-hormonal contraceptives and anti-microbial/viral devices. You will join a team of talented, multidisciplinary scientists and engineers to pave the way for next-generation female healthcare!
As Senior Scientist, you will be responsible for executing and/or managing a variety of preclinical research efforts, which includes advancing Mucommune’s current efforts in female reproductive health, as well as initiating new research efforts via our antibody technologies. You will be directly responsible for overseeing all cloning efforts at Mucommune, and also contribute to production and characterization of biologics. You may manage other scientific staff to ensure the research team meet research goals set forth in a timely manner, and to ensure the rigor and reproducibility of the research. You may also be asked to manage collaboration or work with external contract research organizations. Finally, you will be expected to contribute towards development of standard operating protocols, manuscripts, and grants submission.
- Develop and perform laboratory experiments involving cloning, protein purification, drug delivery, immunoassays, mammalian/bacterial cell culture and material engineering to support preclinical R&D for a controlled release device designed to deliver biologics. Must be able to execute experiments independently, and work closely with senior executives to ensure successful, on-time executions of assays, validations, and sample analyses. Main experiments to be performed include production and characterization of antibodies and other proteins, microscopy, and cGMP cell line development.
- Apply scientific methods and critical thinking/analytical skills to design and execute experiments efficiently (prepare SOPs), perform data and statistical analysis, draw conclusions from results, write reports, contribute to grants, and perform oral presentations/posters.
- Background: Protein engineering, genetic engineering, molecular biology, biochemistry, immunology, biomedical engineering or a related field with broad bioanalytical background
- Technical Skills: Basic molecular biology skills (ELISA, gel electrophoresis, Western blots); mammalian cell/bacterial culture. Experience in production and characterization of biologics or cloning techniques is preferred.
- Communication Skills: Strong oral and written communication skills for team collaboration.
- Other: Ability to work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment is essential. Must be a creative and detail-oriented individual, who is able to multi-task and work effectively and independently as well as within teams to meet objectives under time constraints. Flexibility to work outside normal working hours of 8:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Education: Minimum BA / BS with 5+ years of relevant experience (Ph.D. preferred)