Job: Research Associate/Scientist: Functional Genomics/Stem Cell, Element Genomics, Inc., Durham, NC
Research Associate/Scientist: Functional Genomics/Stem Cell
Durham, NC 27701 United States
701 W Main Street
Research and Development
Element Genomics is a wholly owned subsidiary of UCB, a global biopharmaceutical company focused on the discovery and development of innovative medicines and solutions to transform the lives of people living with severe diseases in immunology and neurology. Element Genomics plays an integral role in the discovery science performed within the UCB R&D organization.
Element Genomics provides innovative strategies and solutions in functional genomics including engineering CRISPR/Cas9 systems for targeted gene regulation, genome and/or epigenome editing for applications such as directing cell differentiation, correction of genetic diseases in in vitro model systems, and high-throughput CRISPR/Cas9 screening for novel target discovery. Our site, based in Durham NC, is looking for motivated scientists with proven cell/molecular biology experience and a flexible, solution-driven mindset.
We are seeking a highly-motivated full-time research associate/scientist to perform a variety of complex technical duties involving high-throughput genomics, mammalian cell engineering, and target validation experiments. The successful candidate will be responsible for performing high-throughput genetic screens in a variety of disease relevant models, designing experiments, and analyzing data, and will have the opportunity to learn cutting-edge genomic technologies.
• Independently construct lentiviral screening libraries and performing high-throughput genetic screens, followed by downstream validation of screen hits
• Generation of cellular models to mimic disease biology using CRISPR-based approaches in iPS/stem cell models
• Develop and qualify new assay methods, including in vitro and cell-based assays
• Plan, execute and troubleshoot routine assays and procedures (i.e. molecular cloning, PCR, etc.)
• Develop hypotheses and drive scientific learnings on projects to expand the functional genomics platform
• Accountability for achieving project milestones and delivering on objectives
Education and experience:
• BS/MS in biological sciences, engineering or related field
• 3+ years of relevant laboratory experience, in academic, pharmaceutical or biotechnology settings
• Proficiency in basic molecular biology including cloning, PCR, mammalian cell culture, transfection procedures and immunoassays (e.g. flow cytometry, ELISA)
• Strong preference for iPS/stem cell expertise
• Experience in using functional genomics tools including CRISPR/Cas9-based screening preferred
• Experience with lentiviral library generation and transduction preferred
• Ability to work as part of a team as well as independently
• Ability to learn and implement new assays with high accuracy and precision
• Ability to teach and transfer skills (e.g. cell culture, screening technologies) to less experienced personnel
Do you know someone who would be interested in this job?