Job: Director of Program Management - Grants, Duke Human Vaccine Institute, Durham, NC
The Director of Program Management position will be responsible for working with the Duke Human Vaccine Institute (DHVI) leadership in the coordination, evaluation, and scientific management of pre and post-award activities for grants and serve as a resource for DHVI investigators with management of pre-award activities related to the submission of grants and post award management of research programs within the (DHVI). He or she will be responsible for oversight of a broad portfolio of grants managed by Program Managers at DHVI. The successful candidate will manage and direct Program Manager/Program Coordinators in order to ensure effective planning, oversight and coordination of scientific research projects.
• Work with the DHVI leadership in the coordination, evaluation, and scientific management of post-award activities for numerous grants/contracts.
• Manage selected Program Managers and Program Coordinator staff in support of the Director’s portfolio. Assist with recruitment and selection, performance management, and professional development of the program management team. Determine project/program specifications and match project/program managers to projects based on competencies and operational need
• Oversee and guide GMP Program Manager and activities
• Monitor spending and forecasting variances with financial team, liaise with lab members to ensure that scientific plans are followed and milestones are met, collect and interpret data, create scientific documents, SAB reports, progress reports, and letters of interest as required. Conduct project/program reviews examining budget, deliverables and milestones status relative to on time/within budget/meeting business needs
• Utilize scientific and management expertise to develop project proposals, project procedures, operational requirements, pricing and schedules for projects and provide operational oversight and direction to implement the scientific strategies and meet the project milestones.
• Assist with the management and coordination of the pre-award proposal process, working with individuals at various levels in the organization to ensure successful integration of all parts and ensure full compliance with all funding solicitation and sponsor requirements.
• Assist PIs with the development of the administrative/management plan for the project. Draft / coordinate all sections related to compliance for investigators as well as other sections as deemed appropriate
• Draft and edit proposals and progress reports and provide writing support; advise investigators on proposal content and organization; assist with updates and maintenance of institutional resource template materials
• Through existing mechanisms as well as research and communications with possible sponsors, identify large, multidisciplinary funding opportunities from federal and non-federal sources that capitalize on existing strengths and expertise for DHVI investigators.
• Monitor schedules and risk management plans and provide warnings of serious deviations or variations that may compromise project results. Ensure required project data and information is regularly communicated to the project teams, study sponsor, participating laboratories and greater scientific community; generate and issue regular internal and external project reports and presentations for aforementioned groups.
• Monitor subcontract expenditures to ensure appropriate use of funds are consistent with predefined milestones and scientific progress. Collaborate with the finance team, principal investigators, and project leaders to coordinate the preliminary data and progress information for the completion of non-competing and competing reports and renewals for the DHVI grants and contracts.
• Collaborate with statistical team to develop study and analysis plans and summarize scientific data.
• Represent DHVI Leadership in scientific meetings, calls and presentations addressing both scientific and business implications of current and future projects as required.
• Perform other duties as assigned by DHVI and Chief of Staff.
You will only be considered for the position after you have applied to requisition 26243 on the DHVI careers page and/or Duke Careers Website.
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
EDUCATION: Master or PhD degree and/or post graduate training in clinical research, health policy, health administration, business or other related field preferred
EXPERIENCE: Work prefers 8 years of progressive responsibility experience in a project/program management or operational capacity in an academic health center, clinical/translational research, or health care delivery setting. Experience with pre and post award management of grants preferred. Previous personnel management and supervisory experience required.