Job: Bioinformatic Scientist, David H Murdock Research Institute, Kannapolis, NC
Kannapolis, NC 28081 United States
150 N Research Campus Dri
Compensation is commensurate with Education and Experience
DHMRI offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes the following: health and dental insurance, disability insurances, FSA, life insurance, and a 401(k) savings plan.
The David H. Murdock Research Institute is seeking motivated candidates to fill a Bioinformatic Scientist position. The DHMRI is a not-for-profit research service provider located in Kannapolis, NC that offers a multi-omic approach to clients interested in the biology associated with human health, nutrition and agriculture. The primary role of the Bioinformatic Scientist is to assist in the design, data analysis and report generation for the various platforms associated with the institute’s service offerings. The successful candidate will also be expected to be involved in the development of new offerings in collaboration with other members of the scientific team. The candidate must be comfortable working in a dynamic, fast changing environment, and able to communicate complex informatics principles, methods, analyses, and results to scientists and clients from diverse backgrounds. The position will report to the Director of Operations.
• Project design: working with other members of the team to plan timelines and requirements including statistical power analysis/sample size determination, sequencing coverage and QC metrics.
• Bioinformatic analyses associated with the following services:
• RNA-seq expression analyses (including gene fusions)
• Methyl-seq and iScan methylation profiling
• targeted sequencing (amplicon/exome sequencing for mutation/SV detection)
• microbiome analyses including both functional characterization and 16S profiling.
• de novo assembly (genome and transcriptome)
• Single cell transcriptomics (10X Chromium platform)
• Pipeline, hardware, and software maintenance: managing local software updates; working with IT to refresh local hardware as needed; update in-house pipelines and packages as functionality is added and/or redacted
• Data management and client delivery report.
• Assist in the development of new offerings by combining different platforms (genomics, metabolomics and NMR).
• Keeping abreast of latest publications, open source bioinformatics/clinical genomics tools and databases.
• MS / Ph.D. in Bioinformatics/Computational Biology or related discipline.
• Programming: Java/python Scripting: perl, shell
• Working knowledge with univariate (hypothesis) testing, linear models and summary statistics.
• Experience with common bioinformatics software packages: sequence assembly tools (e.g., SPAdes, MaSuRCA, Flye, canu) and analysis software suites (e.g., picard, QIIME).
• Demonstrated experience in handling large NGS data sets. Experience in the handling of metabolomics and proteomics data sets a plus.
• Industry experience at Biotech / Pharmaceutical / Agricultural a plus.
• Knowledge of the methods and technologies utilized for integrative analysis of biosciences and clinical data, such as ontologies, semantic web technologies and data exchange standards, desirable.
• Strong communication skills and the ability to communicate across multiple scientific disciplines.
• Detail-oriented and organized, with strong initiative and sense of ownership when driving projects to completion.
The position will be based at DHMRI, Kannapolis, NC
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V
Do you know someone who would be interested in this job?