Job: RESEARCH TECHNICIAN III, Duke Human Vaccine Institute, Durham, NC
• Work as part of a multi-disciplinary research team to characterize human B cell responses utilizing flow cytometry, reverse transcription PCR, ELISA, Biolayer interferometry, cloning, cell culture, antibody expression and purification.
• Operate and maintain DNA sequencer and liquid handling automated workstations.
• Understand and comply with all safety standards and procedures to insure a safe working environment for all laboratory staff.
• Design, execute, analyze and archive experiments in a manner that is scientifically justifiable, reliable and understandable to others.
• Keep lab equipment, chemicals reagents and supplies in excellent order. Perform routine lab maintenance, cleaning, ordering and organizing.
• Learn and develop new lab techniques and teach them to other lab staff.
• Collaborate with other staff, your supervisor, and Principal Investigator(s) to review experimental results and develop new research plans; assist in the training of new personnel.
• Perform other duties as requested by your supervisor, Principal Investigator or senior Institute Leadership.
You will only be considered for the position after you have applied to requisition 11491 on the DHVI careers page and/or Duke Careers Website.
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND SKILLS:
• Bachelor’s degree in biology with 2 years of research experience, a 2 year master’s degree or an equivalent combination of relevant education and experience.
• Solid mathematical skills as it relates to the calculation of weights, volumes and solution concentrations.
• Familiarity with cellular and molecular biology techniques
• Must be detail oriented with the ability to perform repetitive, reproducible assays according to a carefully designed plan/protocol.
• Computer literate as it relates to Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and other graphing/analytical software with a willingness to learn new systems/skills.
• Perform laboratory work at Biosafety Level 2 and 3.
• Comply with vaccination requirements when necessary
• Complete US Department of Justice screening for Select Agent registration
• Complete Select Agent registration at Tier 1
• Achieve external certification for independent work at Biosafety 3