Job: Research Scientist, Duke Human Vaccine Institute, Durham, NC
The Duke Human Vaccine Institute (DHVI) is a multi-disciplinary research organization at Duke University focused on basic, translational and clinical research to develop novel vaccines, therapeutics and diagnostics for infectious diseases that impact global health. The Duke Regional Biocontainment Laboratory (RBL) is a division of the DHVI that supports a specific portfolio of research programs requiring enhanced biosafety and security.
With financial support from the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), DHVI investigators have developed a Pandemic Prevention Program (P3) to halt the spread of pandemic infections with rapid development of medical countermeasures. The DHVI P3 program combines world-class expertise in virology, microbiology, immunology and clinical good manufacturing practice (CGMP) to create a fully integrated platform capable of responding to pandemic threats. At the core of the platform is a rapid high-throughput semi-automated pipeline for isolation of pathogen-specific antibodies using single-cell sorting, RT-PCR, and antibody expression and screening (binding, avidity, function).
• Design, develop and execute isolation and expression of antibody sequences from pathogen-specific memory B cells and/or plasma cells to meet the milestones of the P3 program
• Characterize binding, avidity, neutralization/function of isolated countermeasure candidates (antibodies).
• Facilitate collaborations/interactions with the P3 research teams: pathogen growth, countermeasure manufacturing and formulation, and pre-clinical safety/efficacy models.
• Develop and implement standard operating procedures and lead in optimization, and qualification efforts for assays and procedures.
• Research new products, tests, and methods and report on relative feasibility, quality, and benefits of new developments.
• Summarize completed protocols and studies; write scientific articles and manuscripts for publication and presentation.
• Supervise and mentor lab staff, students and fellows in the laboratory.
• Monitor progress of research projects and coordinate with P3 Program Manager to stay on budget and schedule to meet the milestones and deliverables.
• Perform other duties as assigned by Duke RBL Director and Program leadership.
You will only be considered for the position after you have applied to requisition 13559 on the DHVI careers page.
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
PhD or equivalent doctorate (e.g., Sc.D, M.D., D.M.V.)
Three to five years postdoctoral training or experience conducting scientific research specifically in the field of immunology; expertise with B cell immunogenetics and recombinant antibody/protein design and expression; willingness to work at Biosafety Level 2 or 3; and ability to complete US Department of Justice screening to independently work with Select Agents.