Job: Genetic Counselor, Client Services [POS ID 10084], Baebies, Inc., Durham, NC
Genetic Counselor, Client Services [POS ID 10084]
Durham, NC 27709 United States
Health Benefits, Vision, Dental, 401K, PTO, Life Insurance
Genetic Counselor, Client Services
Baebies, Inc. is a well-funded growth-stage company that develops products and services for the newborn screening and pediatric diagnostics markets. The company’s FDA-cleared product and testing services are sought by US public health labs and public and private labs globally. A pipeline of additional tests and product platforms and services are in development. The company is headquartered in Durham, NC and has customers throughout the US and globally. Baebies has shipped over 5 million tests to date with strong potential for significant growth in the coming years. The company’s mission is to save lives and make lives better for millions of children by bringing new technologies, new tests, and new hope to parents and healthcare professionals worldwide – we believe that everyone deserves a healthy start.
This is a unique and dynamic customer-facing position for a Genetic Counselor to provide clinical expertise in collaboration with key internal and external stakeholders in the company, including: healthcare providers, pharmaceutical partners, patients and patient advocates. Internally, this role will work closely with the Laboratory Director to guide patient testing, collaborate with the Marketing and Sales team on marketing initiatives, as well as working closely with the Laboratory (R&D) and Informatics team(s) on variant interpretation and clinical reporting. Externally, the position will require communication with prospective and existing clients, as well as presenting findings at scientific conferences and publishing in peer-reviewed scientific journals.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
• Support client needs, including both internal and external stakeholders (including patients).
• Assist healthcare providers in selecting tests that are clinically appropriate based on interpretation of the patient’s phenotype, previous genetic test results, and family history.
• Provide direct customer service support and act as the internal advocate of the customer, documenting all customer contacts and working with the Lab Director to refine all Client Services SOPs.
• Identify, evaluate, and collaborate in the development of new tests through consultation with experts, review of the literature, and assessment of clinical utility and cost effectiveness.
• Maintain expertise and knowledge of neonatal/pediatric testing and serve as subject matter expert for those genetic tests.
• Provide to key information to Marketing and Sales team, product differentiators, clinical value, and advise on how to position the test for clients.
Qualifications & Competencies
• MS from an accredited genetic counseling program
• Board certification as a genetic counselor or active candidate status by the American Board of Medical Genetics or the American Board of Genetic Counseling
• In-depth knowledge of molecular genetics and relationship to human disease, as well as genetic testing laboratory policies and procedures
• Ability to thoroughly and accurately evaluate scientific literature
• Familiarity with variant databases, genome browsers, and HGVS nomenclature
• Ability to work independently and in a team
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• A proven track record to deliver premier quality clinical results with efficiency and accuracy
• Enjoyment of working closely with patients and their families
• Be passionate and excited about giving babies a healthy start, but also empathetic to the struggles associated with living with genetic diseases.
• Excellent time management skills; ability to coordinate and execute multiple tasks simultaneously
• Flexibility in handling changing priorities and deadlines while maintaining a high quality of work
Reports to: VP of Lab Services
Do you know someone who would be interested in this job?