Job: Facilities Manager, Medicago USA, Durham, NC
Durham, NC 27709 United States
Facilities & Maintenance
At Medicago, our science and technology are only as innovative as the people who advance them. We strongly believe that new ideas and solutions come from all over the world and in different forms.
Job Summary: The responsibility of the Facilities Manager is to oversee the operation, maintenance, and repairs of site utility and process systems including HVAC, refrigeration, boiler, electrical, safety, upstream, downstream, GH etc. The Facilities Manager will work closely with the Director of Facilities, the Maintenance Team, Decontamination Process Supervisor, and the EHS Supervisor to ensure that the facility operates in a safe, reliable, and efficient manner.
• Oversee day-to-day activities of the Facilities Maintenance group to include assignment of tasks, scheduling, and coordination across the various site functional areas including utilities, process equipment, and general / site maintenance.
• Supervise preventive maintenance and non-scheduled maintenance activities for all building utility equipment including boilers, chillers, AHUs, conveyors, fire alarm system, security systems, plumbing, etc.
• Follow SOPs, PMs, and applicable safety procedures while performing preventive maintenance and non-scheduled maintenance. Ensure that members of the Facility Utilities team and service groups adhere to required procedures and tasks.
• Use excellent troubleshooting skills - formulate and recommend appropriate action and institute repairs and modifications to equipment in a manner that does not jeopardize the integrity of the equipment, validation, or compliance.
• Verify all equipment and utility systems are operating efficiently, reliably and safely. Assure competent troubleshooting and repairs of systems/equipment are completed to minimize downtime.
• Monitor GMP building operations utilizing the BMS system to verify that critical areas are being maintained within operating specifications. Provide specified notifications to area managers for out of specification conditions.
• Conduct and/or participate in investigations to identify root causes and define corrective and/or preventative actions. Be able to complete required documentation for Quality events.
• Revise existing SOPs / PM Tasks and develop new SOPs and PMs for systems/equipment, as necessary.
• Participate in the execution and strategic planning of project work with a focus on impacts to the Facilities Team.
• Mentor and develop the Maintenance Team and new hires regarding teamwork, troubleshooting techniques, and applicable procedures to ensure cGMP compliance.
• Work with the Storeroom SME to evaluate and oversee spare parts procurement needed to maintain systems. Ensure that all systems have recommended spare parts identified, and if possible, located at the Medicago site.
• Maintain the building in a safe and compliant manner adhering to all EPA, OSHA, and applicable building codes.
• Provide support and interact with leadership including managers and supervisors from all departments.
Education and Experience:
• Excellent team building and leadership skills, with strong interpersonal and communication skills to communicate with all departments is a mandatory requirement.
• Minimum 12 years managing a maintenance or utilities team in an ISO, FDA, or other regulated industry is mandatory.
• Must be flexible, adaptable, self-motivated, and able to work well independently and across teams and partners.
• Must lead with humility, a sense of humor, and a desire to support personnel development while ensuring team members are held accountable.
• Two-year Technical degree in Mechanical, Maintenance, Construction or similar field preferred.
• Current Boiler, Refrigerant and/or Electrical License a strong plus.
• Prior experience with a Building Management System (BMS) use, troubleshooting, and administration is mandatory.
• Knowledge of FDA, GMP, and/or GLP guidelines.
• Experience with setting up, operating, and managing a computerized maintenance management system (CMMS) is strongly preferred.
• Strong knowledge with MS software programs such as Word and Excel.
• Ability to review and interpret engineering documents and drawings.
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Experience maintaining equipment and utilities such as HVAC systems, laboratory equipment, and precision and vibratory manufacturing equipment.
• Motivated to perform work while maintaining a focus on the long-term, continuous improvement of equipment, utility, and facility operation and support programs.
• Good written and verbal communication skills to read and write SOPs and complete documents.
Management and Supervisory Responsibility:
• Excellent leadership skills to coordinate work with team members and contractor services.
• Ability to serve the team and Medicago with a service-driven and team oriented attitude.
• Mature level of competence in dealing with a variety personality types and cultural backgrounds.
• Ability to work in a lean, action oriented organization and demonstrate a strong work ethic.
• Must be available to work nights and weekends and be on-call in the event of equipment, building, or personnel problems.
• The employee is occasionally required to stand up to 6 hours a day, walk, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch, and/or crawl.
• The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
Do you know someone who would be interested in this job?