Job: Principal Scientist, Shattuck Labs, RTP/Durham, NC
Shattuck will provide industry competitive salary, equity and bonus, as well as a competitive benefits package including: health, dental, vision, 401K and vacation time
Shattuck Labs is developing a breakthrough platform for immunotherapy, which harnesses the human immune system to improve survival for patients battling cancer and inflammatory disease. Shattuck’s proprietary technology represents the next evolutionary step in cancer therapy by endowing one molecule with multiple functions with applicability across the entire spectrum of human disease. Specifically, Shattuck is developing novel fusion proteins for cancer immunotherapy and other disease areas. These biologic molecules are all first-in-class compounds. Shattuck Labs, based in Austin, Texas, is a privately-held biotechnology company founded in 2016. The R&D hub for Shattuck Labs is based in Research Triangle Park, NC.
Reporting to the R&D leadership team, the Principal Scientist will be expected to work independently to design, execute and publish on independent research projects in the field of immunology. In addition, the Scientist will support the planning, development and execution of pre-clinical assays for validating Shattuck products that are anticipated to enter the clinic in the near future. Shattuck is seeking applicants who have demonstrated a record of first-author publications in peer-reviewed journals, who have a record of presenting abstracts and talks at related conferences, and who may complement the current Shattuck team through cross-fertilization with novel skills and methods. A successful candidate will be able to multitask effectively in order to keep their independent projects moving at a rapid pace while also contributing to the team environment which characterizes our R&D team. A Shattuck mantra maintains that all employees must simultaneously be ‘head chef and dishwasher’, and it is essential that this is embraced by all applicants. No ego’s allowed!!!
• Must be highly independent in the design and execution of laboratory studies, and equally important, in the interpretation
and presentation of data generated
• Molecular characterization of new ARC candidates; experience with ELISA, Western blot, PCR, DNA
transformation/bacterial cell culture, Octet, SEC-MALS, luciferase reporter assays, live-cell imaging, Luminex, and flow
• Cell culture (mammalian - adherent and suspension); sterile technique, primary cell culture, and transfection
• Mouse handling; tumor measurements, and ability to perform IP/IV/SC injections are a plus.
• Computer proficiency; MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Graphpad Prism, Flowjo, etc
• Interact with multiple colleagues in a dynamic environment. Be willing to take on new projects outside the ‘normal’ course
of business. Be highly motivated.
• Co-author technical documentation (abstracts and manuscripts) from basic pre-clinical development
• Analytical experience is a plus (HPLC, SEC, AUC, etc) – ability to design reproducible assays for deployment at
CRO/CMO/3rd party facilities.
• Collect and analyze data and maintain compliant records of laboratory research; diligent protocol documentation and
record keeping is mandatory
• In addition, the position will contribute to the overall operation and maintenance of the lab; including tasks such as lab
organization, ordering and stocking of reagents/supplies, equipment maintenance, mouse colony management.
Qualifications and Requirements
• Ph.D. in Cancer Biology/Immunology or related field
• Candidates with =3 years of hands-on academic or industry postdoc experience are encouraged to apply
• A successful candidate must possess exceptional attention to detail, organizational, interpersonal, and communication
skills, and demonstrate critical thinking and problem solving ability.
• Must have the ability to multi-task to meet critical deadlines and the independent initiative to solve interdisciplinary
• Candidate must be sharp, self-motivated, and able to thrive in a fast-paced dynamic biotech environment where
flexibility, tolerability to rapid change, and drive to make a significant impact is essential.
• Must enjoy working in collaboration with others and small teams to achieve goals through effective building of
relationships with co-workers.