Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck Manufacturing Division, MMD, is a team of dedicated, energetic individuals who are committed to being the most trusted supplier of pharmaceuticals and health products worldwide. Our facilities, along with our external contractors, suppliers, and partners, comprise an interdependent global manufacturing network that’s committed to delivering a compliant, reliable supply to customers and patients on time, every time, across the globe.
The Senior Mechanical Services Engineer will troubleshoot and maintain utility and utility support equipment utilized in a new product feasibility project/manufacturing operation. Develops standard operating procedures (SOP's) and preventative maintenance (PM's) plans, as requested. Responsible for written documentation of activities. Responsible for SAP transactions and change control activities including spare part lists and Preventative Maintenance (PMs) plans. Actively supports, participates and embraces an inclusive team culture including significant interaction with Operations, Quality, Automation, Technology, and other groups as required.
Responsible for supporting:
- Utility Equipment (e.g. Clean steam generators, Water-For-Injection generation/distribution, reverse osmosis skids, vapor compression stills)
- Support Equipment (e.g. compressed gas piping systems, filtration systems, HVAC, waste equalization/neutralization)
- Automated Systems (e.g. Distributed Control System (DCS), Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC), Building Automation System)
- Maintenance Equipment (e.g. tools and calibration equipment)
Must be flexible to perform all the following functions and other tasks, as needed:
- Authors SOPs, PM job plans, and change control requests related to equipment modifications.
- Manages small projects for equipment/maintenance related improvements, including obtaining quotes, drawing/specification review/approval, and review of contracts
- Interfaces with vendors as required for equipment testing, parts and troubleshooting
- Ensures appropriate spare part inventories are established and maintained
- Actively supports safety initiatives, including shop floor audits, HAZOp reviews, Lock-out
- Tag-out (LOTO) and Hazardous Energy Control Procedure (HECP) updates.
- Perform in-depth troubleshooting and maintenance of equipment in support of the production schedule
- Provides training to others, as required
- Completes written documentation of work performed.
- Executes SAP transactions including spare parts management and PM change control.
- Monitors calibration, maintenance, and equipment/utilities operations performance by analyzing completed work orders with an emphasis on reducing reactive work and increasing reliability.
- Collaborates with reliability engineers to conduct periodic RBAM assessments and own area specific reliability actions
- Supports equipment and instrumentation related atypical investigations, as required.
- Ability to lift/move materials/equipment weighing up to 100 pounds
- Effective communication
- Responsible for working as part of an inclusive team to achieve site mission, vision and goals through:
o Efficient and safe operation of equipment
o Compliance with current good manufacturing processes (cGMP)
Education Minimum Requirement:
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Chemical Engineering, Biochemical Engineering, Bioengineering, or related life science field
Required Experience and Skills:
- Five (5) years of relevant experience; a Master of Science Degree with a minimum of three (3) years of relevant experience; or a Ph.D. with relevant academic experience.
- Experience in a manufacturing environment with responsibility for mechanical troubleshooting and repair of automated equipment.
- SAP experience related to plant maintenance and spare parts procurement systems
- Working knowledge of regulatory requirements in accordance with GMP manufacturing operations
- Ability to work in a highly effective team environment
- Strong communication (written/verbal) skills
- Ability to manage multiple priorities; strong planning, scheduling, and time management skills
- Ability to work with and troubleshoot computer control equipment including Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC) and/or Distributed Control Systems (DCS)
- Proficiency in computer systems and applications including but not limited to: Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint), Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs), CMMS Calibration/Maintenance Database Systems.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Plant maintenance/calibration, project engineering and/or operations experience
- Experience authoring PM/calibration job plans and management of spare parts - SAP or similar
- Project management experience including change control and equipment qualification
- Installation, operation, maintenance and/or troubleshooting experience with complex clean utility systems including reverse osmosis skids, clean steam generators, vapor compression stills and water for injection loops
- Installation, operation, maintenance and/or troubleshooting experience with compressed gases, HVAC, and automated waste equalization/neutralization systems.
- Six Sigma green and/or black belt certification
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of it’s manifestations.