Research and Development
NCBiotech Jobs Board ● Connecting North Carolina's life science employers and workforce.
Job: Research Associate, Element Genomics, Inc., Durham, NC
Durham, NC 27701 United States
Research and Development
Element Genomics is a wholly owned subsidiary of UCB and integral to the UCB New Medicines R&D organization. UCB is a global biopharmaceutical company focused on the discovery and development of innovative medicines and solutions to transform the lives of people living with severe diseases in immunology and neurology.
Element Genomics provides innovative strategies and solutions in functional genomics including engineering CRISPR/Cas9 systems for targeted gene regulation, genome and/or epigenome editing for applications such as directing cell differentiation, correction of genetic diseases in in vitro model systems, high-throughput functional reporter assays, and decoding the function of regulatory elements for drug discovery. Our site, based in Durham NC, has an opening for a Research Associate. We are looking for a motivated scientist with proven cell/molecular biology experience and a flexible, solution-driven mindset.
We are seeking highly-motivated full-time research associates to perform a variety of complex technical duties involving high-throughput genomics, mammalian cell engineering, and small molecule screening experiments. The successful candidate will be responsible for performing high-throughput genomic screens in a variety of disease relevant models and will have the opportunity to learn cutting-edge genomic technologies.
• Cell culture work- Culture of mammalian cells using sterile technique; lentiviral production and transduction of mammalian cells; plasmid transfection of mammalian cells; culture of primary human cells; small molecule preparation and treatment of mammalian cells, analysis of cellular phenotype by flow cytometry, qPCR, high content imaging, western blotting etc.
• Molecular biology- Constructing lentiviral screening libraries; molecular cloning; RNA purifications; genomic DNA purifications; PCR; qPCR; western blotting. Processing purified nucleic acid samples into high-throughput sequencing libraries.
• Laboratory maintenance- Preparation of reagent stocks; maintaining sufficient supplies and equipment for performance of duties; Maintain laboratory equipment. Review results and quality control from completed experiments; record results into electronic lab notebook system.
Required qualifications & skills:
• BS or MS in biomedical engineering, molecular/cell biology, genetics, genomics, biochemistry, pharmacy/pharmacology or related field
• Experience with molecular biology and cell biology techniques (cloning, DNA isolation, PCR).
• Experience with mammalian cell culture (primary cell culture experience a plus)
• Excellent communication skills
• Ability to work independently as well as part of a collaborative team
• Experience with gene editing and/or epigenome editing technologies
• Experience with lentiviral library generation
Do you know someone who would be interested in this job?
North Carolina Biotechnology Center