The Institute for Medical Research, an affiliate of the Durham VA Health Care System (DVAHCS) is looking for a Senior Biostatistician to manage statistical projects and perform advanced-level statistical analysis and programming for clinical research studies conducted by the Principal Investigator, Dr. Stephen Freedland, and his associates in his urology research lab. This includes management of projects and junior-level biostatisticians, statistical programming, statistical analysis, quality assurance of data, study planning and feasibility assessments, assistance with grant writing, and presentation of work in reports, manuscripts, posters, and presentations.
The Biostatistician will collaborate closely with a cross-functional project team comprised of physicians, scientists, and research personnel to advise on and execute statistical elements of each project. Studies include prospective observational research, clinical trials, tissue and serum-based studies, and retrospective population studies.
Critical Element 1
Collaborate and work effectively with research team members:
• Collaborate effectively with programmers, statisticians, investigators, research staff, and external collaborators
• Represent the statistical team in project team meetings; make recommendations about study design and execution in relation to statistical analysis
• Participate in conference calls, project meetings, weekly meetings with leadership, and other team meetings
• Serve as a resource for other statisticians and research staff
Critical Element 2
Supervise study personnel:
• Provide management, support, and training for junior-level biostatisticians
• Interview, hire, and train new study personnel as needed; maintain training and delegation logs
• Obtain and maintain VA appointments and data systems access for self and other personnel
• Approve timecards, conduct performance reviews, troubleshoot technical problems, respond to procedural questions
• Assist with coordination of employees’ individual research projects, as needed
Critical Element 3
Effectively manage and execute assignments:
• Adhere to standard operating procedures (SOPs) as they apply to documentation and validation of clinical research statistics; provide recommendations for improvement of SOPs over time
• Manage project responsibilities for the biostatistics team
• Take initiative to complete project-specific responsibilities
• Set timelines and deadlines for statistical planning and analyses
• Demonstrate ability to multi-task and meet deadlines as appropriate
• Build documentation and organizational skills for reproducibility
Critical Element 4
Statistical analysis planning, generation of results, and interpretation:
• Participate in all statistical aspects of a medical research project
• Evaluate research studies and recommend statistical procedures to analyze the data
• Contribute meaningfully to discussions of analyses and identify next steps for analyses
• Perform power calculations for research studies
• Write the statistics section of study proposals and grants
• Write statistical analysis plans
• Develop new statistical methodology as needed for a project
• Perform quality assurance reviews of datasets before beginning analysis
• Research and apply new statistical methods, as needed
• Perform intermediate and advanced statistical analyses, including but not limited to generating descriptive and test statistics, and performing regression modelling
• Check results for accuracy and consistency
• Prepare comprehensive statistical reports to communicate findings with investigators and collaborators
• Be able to work on any phase of a manuscript project, from initial meeting with an investigator to final review of a manuscript prior to submission for publication
• Prepare statistical components of presentations, abstracts, study protocols, and manuscripts including methods and results sections
Critical Element 5
Programming and data documentation:
• Program analysis datasets using SAS, R, or STATA; combine multiple disparate raw databases and derive analysis variables accurately
• Design analysis data set specifications through writing own programming code
• Demonstrate good programming practices through proper documentation, commenting, and readability
• Perform complex programming using advanced options in SAS procedures and macros, and R functions with increasing efficiency
• Produce quality statistical output products including tables, listings, and figures
• Perform appropriate and adequate code checks to ensure accuracy of results
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.
Required Skills and Experience:
Requires an organized, task oriented, deadline-sensitive individual with a minimum of a master’s degree in (bio)statistics or a related field and 7 years of relevant experience or a PhD in (bio)statistics or a related field with 2 years of relevant experience. Candidates must have demonstrated statistical programming experience with SAS, R, and STATA. Experience with python or SQL is a plus. Prior experience leading projects with observational, survival, longitudinal, categorical, and generalized linear models is strongly preferred. Candidates should have published work reflecting their collaborative research experience. Experience supervising, leading teams, and managing projects is strongly desired. Writing and programming samples will be requested during the interview process.
Candidates must be able to work diplomatically and professionally with investigators, scientists, and lab personnel. Demonstrated professional initiative, teamwork abilities, strong interpersonal relationship skills, and good decision-making is expected. Excellent written and oral communication skills and experience with Microsoft Windows, Word, and Excel are required for this position. Understanding of HIPAA considerations is preferred. Applicant must have the ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment, prioritize and manage the workflow of multiple projects, lift up to 5 pounds, sit at a computer for long periods of time, and have fluency in the English language. Salary will be commensurate with experience level.
The prior statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
Employees work for the Institute for Medical Research and will have an appointment at the Durham VAHCS. Please visit www.imr.org for information about employee benefits. Employees must undergo a federal background check prior to hiring. We do not sponsor applicants for work visas. We are an equal-opportunity employer.
To Apply: Please go to https://freedlandlab.recruitee.com/ and select “Apply for this Job” under the Senior Biostatistician description.