Job: Postdoctoral Associate - 43021, Duke Human Vaccine Institute, Durham, NC
The Duke Human Vaccine Institute (DHVI) is a multi-disciplinary research organization in the Duke School of Medicine/Duek University focused on basic, translational and clinical research to develop novel vaccines, therapeutics and diagnostics for infectious diseases that impact global health. The Duke Regional Biocontainment Laboratory (RBL) is a division of the DHVI that supports a specific portfolio of research programs requiring enhanced biosafety and security.
DHVI and the Duke RBL are recruiting highly-motivated individuals as Postdoctoral Associates to join the fight against the SARS-CoV-2 virus and the resulting disease COVID19. Specifically, DHVI investigators have developed a Pandemic Prevention Program (P3) to halt the spread of pandemic infections with rapid development of medical countermeasures. The DHVI P3 program combines world-class expertise in virology, microbiology, immunology and clinical good manufacturing practice (CGMP) to create a fully integrated platform capable of responding to pandemic threats, sucah as SARS-CoV-2. At the core of the platform is a rapid high-throughput semi-automated pipeline for isolation of pathogen-specific antibodies using single-cell sorting, RT-PCR, and antibody expression and screening (binding, avidity, function).
• Design, develop and execute isolation and expression of antibody sequences from COVID donor memory B cells and/or plasma cells
• Characterize binding, avidity, neutralization/function of isolated countermeasure candidates (antibodies).
• Develop and run animal models of SARS-Cov-2 infection
• Facilitate collaborations/interactions with the P3-COVID research teams: pathogen growth, countermeasure manufacturing and formulation, and pre-clinical safety/efficacy models.
• Develop and implement standard operating procedures and lead in optimization, and qualification efforts for assays and procedures.
• Research new products, tests, and methods and report on relative feasibility, quality, and benefits of new developments.
• Summarize completed protocols and studies; write scientific articles and manuscripts for publication and presentation.
• Mentor lab staff, students and fellows in the laboratory, as assigned.
• Monitor progress of research projects and coordinate with P3 Program Manager(s) to stay on budget and schedule to meet the milestones and deliverables.
• Training in bioethics, laboratory management, and scientific writing.
• Maintain accurate laboratory documentation of experiments, including raw experimental data and laboratory notebooks.
The position requires a doctoral degree in biological sciences, chemistry, or a related discipline and a strong record of publications in peer-reviewed journals. Ideal candidates will possess excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to work in a highly collaborative team environment. Willingness to work at Biosafety Level 3; and ability to complete US Department of Justice screening to independently work with Select Agents.