Job: Scientist, High Throughput Synthetic/Molecular Biology, DMC Biotechnologies, Inc., Durham, NC
Scientist, High Throughput Synthetic/Molecular Biology
Durham, NC 27701 United States
Research and Development
We are seeking a scientist to lead the development and utilization of high throughput methods for the construction of DNA and genetically engineered microbial strains. The scientist will join a small, dedicated team responsible for validating strain performance at bench scale. Successful candidates will have previous experience in molecular and or synthetic biology and laboratory automation and will be able to quickly learn new concepts that are specific to support our technology and approach.
- Optimization and utilization of laboratory automation for the construction of plasmids
- Optimization and utilization of laboratory automation for the genetically engineered microbial strains including E. coli.
- Preparation of reagents and materials including media, buffers, and stock solutions
- Managing and coordinating complex experimental schedules within a broader team
- Maintaining, analyzing, and reporting on data to the larger team
- Troubleshooting and improving processes
- Maintaining safe practices and work environment
We prefer candidates with technical training in chemical engineering or molecular biology and previous experience in a laboratory setting. Demonstrated experience with laboratory automation, statistical analyses, Design of Experiments (DoE), and manipulation of large data sets preferred. In addition, we prefer candidates with experience in the following areas:
- PhD. degree in bioengineering, molecular biology, or related field with 2+ years related experience, or alternatively a B.S. degree with 7+ years related experience.
- Direct, hands-on experience with laboratory automation (liquid handlers)
- Direct, hands-on experience with aseptic technique
- Direct experience in statistical analyses and Design of Experiments (DoE)
- Previous experience programming in Python or similar
- Quantitative, data-driven analysis of experimental results and an analytical mind-set
- Experience in following, drafting, and revising detailed SOPs and protocols
- Capability to manage multiple work-flows and experiments within a single day
- Ability to effectively work in cross-disciplinary teams
- Must be a self-starter, motivated, scientifically curious, and collaborative
- Flexible schedule including occasional evenings and weekends
Do you know someone who would be interested in this job?