NCBiotech Jobs Board ● Connecting North Carolina's life science employers and workforce.
Job: Computational Biologist Intern, Element Genomics, Inc., Durham, NC
Computational Biologist Intern
Durham, NC 27701 United States
The responsibilities of this paid summer internship include aiding in the processing, storage, analysis, and visualization of data from CRISPR screens and other functional genomics assays executed at Element Genomics. The position will require completion of relevant coursework or a B.S. in Computer Science or in a related mathematical or scientific field along with evidence of strong computational experience. The Computational Biologist Intern will be granted some flexibility in electing the skills that they would like to primarily develop—statistical modeling, exploratory data analysis, or software development. All work must be maintained using version control and rigorously documented according to the standards of reproducible research.
• Strong background in UNIX/Linux environment and shell scripting
• Strong coding experience in Python
• Ability to work independently
• Rigor with documentation and attention to detail
• A B.S. degree or relevant coursework for a B.S. in Computer Science or mathematical or scientific field with evidence of strong computational experience
• Hands-on experience in cloud computing, ideally Amazon Web Services
• Hands-on experience with Docker
• Hands-on experience with git or related version control software
• Development experience in R
• Hands-on experience with Jupyter notebooks
• Hands-on experience with high-throughput sequencing data
• Lab experience in or classroom knowledge of Molecular Biology
• Good communication and listening skills in order to translate the needs of scientists into computational solutions
Do you know someone who would be interested in this job?
North Carolina Biotechnology Center