NCBiotech Jobs Board ● Connecting North Carolina's life science employers and workforce.
Job: Microfluidics/Automation Engineer, Xilis, Inc, Durham, NC
Durham, NC 27708 United States
Very competitive compensation including salary and stocks for quality candidates.
Xilis Inc is a Duke startup founded by Duke professors and clinicians in Durham, North Carolina. The company has been developing cutting-edge microfluidic droplet-based patient-derived organoid (MDPDO) technology for precision cancer diagnostics and drug development. Xilis’ transformative platform recreates patient specific tumors in-vitro in their 3D and environmental complexity at micro-scale, allowing ultra-high-throughput, clinically-relevant, and affordable experimental selection of the safest, most effective drugs for each and every patient in a matter of days. The company is funded by top Silicon Valley venture firms in the healthcare space, which have invested in top precision medicine companies including Foundation Medicine and Guardant Health.
The candidate will join a vibrant engineering team led by a Silicon Valley veteran to develop an automated platform for MDPDO generation, screening, and analysis to support ongoing clinical trials. By joining the early-stage team, the candidate will have the opportunity to fundamentally advance precision cancer therapy. In the next few months and years you will:
- Improve the general performance of the core microfluidic platform
- Transform the R&D systems into a robust and scalable clinical grade product
- Develop a high-throughput imaging-based microwell MDPDO drug screening platform
- Support the development of a next-gen robotic infrastructure for the clinical laboratory
- Support the design and implementation of the company’s software systems
- Help rapidly troubleshoot operational issues on production systems
- Help with additional high-priority tasks as-needed
The ideal candidate should have:
- A PhD degree or 3+ years in industry with relevant experience in microfluidics, microfabrication, and/or automation
- Experience with live cell assays (e.g., high-throughput drug screening, diagnostic assay, 3D culture, or cellular imaging analysis) will be a plus
- Broad technical interests across software, mechanical, electrical, controls will be a plus
- Experience developing commercial products will be a plus
Do you know someone who would be interested in this job?
North Carolina Biotechnology Center