Job: Research Analyst, North Carolina Biotechnology Center, Research Triangle Park, NC
Research Triangle Park, NC
The North Carolina Biotechnology Center (NCBiotech) seeks a creative business and/or science research librarian to join the Life Science Intelligence (LSI) team as a Research Analyst.
Transforming Life Science and North Carolina
Here in North Carolina, NCBiotech catalyzes the many different transformations that are improving the quality of life around the world. We connect companies with university researchers and introduce entrepreneurs to potential funders. Transformation even happens on an individual level as job seekers find their dream opportunity in the life science field.
North Carolina is leading the push toward better healthcare, faster diagnostics and more sustainable food production all the while, creating jobs right here in our state. This economic transformation is why the General Assembly has funded us for three decades, and continues its commitment today.
We are a team of about 70, mostly working in RTP, but across North Carolina from offices in Asheville, Charlotte, Winston-Salem, Greenville and Wilmington. We are all experts in some aspect of life science research, or financing, or policy. We also bring our experience in supporting roles such as market research, communications, accounting, and meeting planning to contribute to the growth of this significant industry in North Carolina.
We are not a startup but we think like one. We are not a widespread multinational company, but we cast a long shadow. We are not a research lab but we know what it takes to move ideas forward.
We know our science, our data and high finance. We connect to our communities, our state and our world. We act, every day, to transform life science and North Carolina.
Life Science Intelligence
The Life Science Intelligence team enables the success of NCBiotech staff as well as clients in life sciences companies and organizations. We do this by conducting secondary research to develop custom reports, data analysis and visualizations and by designing in-house tools to maintain and deliver comprehensive and accurate data about the life sciences industry in the state, including a life sciences company directory.
The Research Analyst will work with the LSI team to deliver actionable intelligence to client startups, entrepreneurs, and larger companies in North Carolina and beyond. Typically, this includes market research, competitive intelligence, commercialization, innovation, licensing and partnering information. Unlike traditional library services, our services are fee-based.
• Provides answers to a wide range of broad and complex factual and speculative questions through the use of available databases and other resources for both internal staff and external clients.
• Develops and curates custom alerts.
• Collaborates as an embedded professional in other Center units or client and partner organizations.
• Consults with internal staff in the development of new data tools and resources; in the appropriate use of existing software applications for and in creative solutions for information storage and retrieval problems.
• Participates in data creation, integrity and management projects using NCBiotech’s client relationship management system or other software applications.
• Serves on a variety of departmental and interdepartmental teams
• Communicates the value of the team’s work and assists in marketing LSI services by fostering relationships within the life sciences community. Attends and/or presents at networking events as a representative of the unit and looks for opportunities to reach new clients.
• Contributes to the staff’s information literacy and research abilities by teaching short sessions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Knowledge of advanced search techniques in a variety of research databases, search engines and online tools.
• Experience creating, maintaining and reporting from custom databases, with an emphasis on data integrity.
• Experience with visualization tools and techniques preferred.
• Excellent oral and written communication.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with Center staff and external clients.
• Ability to work independently and as a contributing team member. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite with advanced knowledge of Excel.
• Demonstrated curiosity and creative problem solving.
Minimum Education. Skills and Experience Required
In addition to a Master’s in Library or Information Science, the ideal candidate will have a minimum of two years of experience including reference/research work. Life science or business research experience required. The candidate should be detail- and customer-oriented, have excellent written and oral communication skills, and exhibit excellent interpersonal skills.
How to Apply
E-mail a cover letter and resume by January 15, 2020 to:
If you have questions about the work of the position, contact Susie Corbett, Susie_corbett@ncbiotech.org.
No phone calls, please.
An Equal Opportunity Employer