Job: Associate Scientist - Downstream Process Development, Asklepios BioPharmaceuticals Inc, Durham, NC
When AskBio’s scientific founder, Dr. Jude Samulski, discovered how the Adeno-Associated Virus (AAV) could be safely used to deliver corrected genes to cells with genetic defects, it propelled one of the most exciting and inspiring fields in medical research today. Now the foundation for an entire industry, it also inspired the development of a world-leading gene therapy platform that includes the Pro10TM cell line, an extensive capsid library, and new methods for lowering the cost of delivery.
We know gene therapy is a highly complex business. But seeing the impact that gene therapy can have on patients suffering from incurable diseases fuels a never-ending passion to continually advance AAV gene therapy technology. We embrace the work that companies like Pfizer/Bamboo, Novartis/AveXis, and Roche/Spark are doing to advance gene therapy development as we all share a common goal: erase genetic disease.
We are a company on the forefront of the industry, guided by the vision and unparalleled expertise of Dr. Samulski, the founder of AAV gene therapy. We invite all researchers, advocacy groups, patients and their families to join us on this mission to advance promising gene therapies and to change the face of health care.
We are excited for our next Associate Scientist Downstream Process Development to join the AskBio team!
About the role:
The Associate Scientist- Downstream Process Development position provides support for execution of experiments designed to optimize recombinant adeno-associated virus downstream processing and purification for gene therapy applications. This role requires knowledge and a desire to learn principles of chemical engineering, biology, biochemistry, and related chemistries, preferably in chromatography, centrifugation and filtration design principles.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
• Assist in the development of robust, efficient, scalable purification strategies for improving downstream process performance in collaboration with fellow scientists, collaborators, and upper management.
• Communicate and collaborate across functional areas such as upstream process development, analytical development, manufacturing and R&D.
• Conduct experiments and analyses as part of a variety of research and development activities, e.g., small-scale studies, scale up studies, technology transfer and process development.
• Evaluate and summarize the experimental results, develop and test hypotheses to improve understanding of downstream purification strategies, yield, purity, and recovery.
• Prepare internally reviewed technical reports.
• Provide team support through preparation of solutions, lab cleanliness, and maintaining inventory or necessary supplies.
BS or MS degree in a biological or engineering discipline (Biotechnology, Chemistry/Biochemistry, Chemical/Biochemical Engineering, or equivalent).
Experience in laboratory research, and a desire to continue in a laboratory-focused roll.
Minimum 1-3 years of experience in laboratory research required, preferably in recombinant protein/biomolecule purification development, technology transfer and/or bioprocess manufacturing.
Experience with filtration and chromatography.
A good understanding of protein chemistry, protein analytics, and bioprocess technology is required.
Excellent written and verbal communication, work planning, data analysis and record keeping skills (with strong attention to detail) will be required.
More About you:
Must have a passport and are able to physically travel to remote locations, including, but not limited to, international and remote locations.
Sound understanding of statistical experimental design and analysis such as design of experiments is a plus.
Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite (Word, Outlook, Excel) required; experience with JMP a plus.
Experience with global teams, especially Spanish speaking, a plus.
We offer a competitive total rewards package. Are you our next great discovery?
**Please note, AskBio does not provide sponsorship at this time**