Job: Associate Scientist - Downstream Process Development, Asklepios BioPharmaceuticals Inc, Durham, NC
Associate Scientist - Downstream Process Development
Durham, NC 27709 United States
Eligible for 10% Bonus and Employer pays 100% of Employee Benefits
The Associate Scientist position provides support for execution of experiments designed to optimize recombinant adeno-associated virus downstream processing and purification for gene therapy applications. This role requires knowledge and a desire to learn principles of chemical engineering, biology, biochemistry, and related chemistries, preferably in chromatography, centrifugation and filtration design principles.
• Assist in the development of robust, efficient, scalable purification strategies for improving downstream process performance in collaboration with fellow scientists, collaborators, and upper management
• Communicate and collaborate across functional areas such as upstream process development, analytical development, manufacturing and R&D
• Conduct experiments and analyses as part of a variety of research and development activities, e.g., small-scale studies, scale up studies, technology transfer and process development
• Evaluate and summarize the experimental results, develop and test hypotheses to improve understanding of downstream purification strategies, yield, purity, and recovery
• Prepare internally reviewed technical reports
• Provide team support through preparation of solutions, lab cleanliness, and maintaining inventory or necessary supplies.
• BS or MS degree in a biological or engineering discipline (Biotechnology, Chemistry/Biochemistry, Chemical/Biochemical Engineering, or equivalent)
• Experience in laboratory research, and a desire to continue in a laboratory-focused roll
• Minimum 1-3 years of experience in laboratory research required, preferably in recombinant protein/biomolecule purification development, technology transfer and/or bioprocess manufacturing
• Experience with filtration and chromatography
• Strong academic record
• A good understanding of protein chemistry, protein analytics, and bioprocess technology is required
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Applicants should be self-motivated, organized, capable of working independently as well as in a collaborative/group environment to collaborate with manufacturing staff on experimental studies.
• Experience with downstream process development specific to recombinant adeno-associated virus is a plus
• The successful candidate will possess strong oral and written communication skills
• Strong analytical and computer skills are required.
• Sound understanding of statistical experimental design and analysis such as design of experiments is a plus
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite (Word, Outlook, Excel) required; experience with JMP a plus
• Experience with global teams, especially Spanish speaking, a plus
• Occasional travel to domestic and international conferences and collaborators
Do you know someone who would be interested in this job?