Job: Scientist Upstream Process Development, Asklepios BioPharmaceuticals Inc, Durham, NC
Scientist Upstream Process Development
Durham, NC 27709 United States
AskBio provides 100% paid for employees: medical, dental, vision, life, STD, LTD as well as 160 hours PTO Annually, 401k, 10 Holidays, Fitness Center.
Manufacturing and Production
Scientist – Upstream Process Development
Asklepios BioPharmaceutical- Durham, NC
Asklepios BioPharmaceutical (AskBio) is seeking a full-time, hands-on individual to become an integral member of the R&D team. The purpose of the Scientist position is to provide the planning and execution of experiments designed to optimize Adeno-associated virus manufacturing processes for gene therapy applications. The successful candidate will have a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry/Biochemistry, or Biology, and have a working knowledge of cell biology and cell culture processes, preferably in WAVE and/or stirred tank bioreactors, media development and fed-batch or perfusion principles. This position requires the design and execution of experiments using these technologies and the ability to evaluate and report the results to colleagues.
• Develop robust, efficient, scalable strategies for improving upstream process performance in collaboration with fellow scientists, collaborators, and upper management
• Responsible for rAAV vector manufacturing for research and GLP grade studies to support rAAV technology improvements and progression of early stage gene therapy programs
• Conduct experiments and analyses as part of a variety of research and development activities, e.g., small-scale studies, scale up studies, technology transfer and process development
• Evaluate and summarize the experimental results, develop and test hypotheses to improve understanding of cell culture process development strategies, yield and recovery
• Support technology transfer, internal manufacturing and quality by design
• Prepare internally reviewed technical reports and make oral presentations to scientists and management
• Attend key conferences to represent the company via presentations and/or posters
• BS or MS degree in a biological or engineering discipline (Biotechnology, Chemistry/Biochemistry, Chemical/Biochemical Engineering, or equivalent)
• Experience in laboratory research, and a desire to continue in a laboratory-focused roll
• Minimum 2-5 years of experience in laboratory research required, preferably in recombinant protein/biomolecule cell culture/bioreactor development, technology transfer and/or bioprocess manufacturing
• Strong academic record
• Demonstrated ability to generate results and innovative solutions with minimum supervision
• A good understanding of protein chemistry, protein analytics, and bioprocess technology is required
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Applicants should be self-motivated, organized, capable of working independently as well as in a collaborative/group environment to collaborate with manufacturing staff on experimental studies and GMP manufacturing
• The successful candidate will possess strong oral and written communication skills
• Good judgement and innovation to achieve a solution within standard practices and procedures
• Strong analytical and computer skills are required.
• Sound understanding of statistical experimental design and analysis such as design of experiments is a plus
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite (Word, Outlook, Excel) required; experience with JMP a plus
• Experience with global teams, especially Spanish speaking, a plus
Do you know someone who would be interested in this job?