Research and Development
NCBiotech Jobs Board ● Connecting North Carolina's life science employers and workforce
Home / Jobs
Job: Laboratory Assistant, Duke Human Vaccine Institute, Durham, NC
Durham, NC 27710 United States
Research and Development
LABORATORY ASSISTANT, DHVI
The Duke Human Vaccine Institute (DHVI) continues to lead with cutting edge research to combat infectious diseases that impact global health. The investigators at the DHVI conduct basic and translational research to develop novel vaccines, therapeutics and diagnostics for diseases such as HIV-1, tuberculosis, influenza, malaria, ebola, cytomegalovirus, zika etc.
With a new Pandemic Prevention Program (P3), we will be combining DHVI investigator’s world-class expertise in virology, immunology and clinical good manufacturing practice (CGMP) to create a fully integrated platform capable of responding to a viral pandemic threat.
We are recruiting a Laboratory Assistant to work as part of the DHVI Lab Assistant Team to support all research activities in DHVI, including this new P3 program.
• Provide general laboratory support to all DHVI laboratory facilities
• Process solid biohazardous waste from laboratories including sterilization by autoclaving and removal from the facility
• Routine performance testing of steam sterilizers (autoclaves)
• Order and maintain ample inventory of safety supplies and personal protective equipment; stocking of these materials throughout the DHVI laboratory facilities.
• Document weekly performance testing of laboratory eyewashes
• Conduct routine safety compliance reviews of DHVI laboratories by use of electronic checklist
• Perform additional duties as requested by direct supervisor and DHVI leadership
Work requires the ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions generally acquired through a partial high school education. High School diploma is preferred.
Basic computer/smart phone/tablet skills
Work requires standing or walking the majority of each day, lifting of loads 10-20 pounds multiple times per day, and pulling loads of 25-50 pounds multiple times per day.
The successful applicant must be eligible for and willing to:
• Successfully complete the High Containment Special Pathogens Health Review and be cleared by Duke Employee Occupational Health and Wellness for work at Biosafety Level 3 (BSL3)
• Successfully complete BSL3 training for work in the high-containment areas of the Regional Biocontainment Laboratory
• Work with infectious biological materials handled at BSL2 and BSL3
• Comply with vaccination and health surveillance requirements
• Complete and maintain Tier 1 Select Agent registration
Do you know someone who would be interested in this job?
North Carolina Biotechnology Center