Research and Development
NCBiotech Jobs Board ● Connecting North Carolina's life science employers and workforce
Home / Jobs
(this posting is now closed/inactive)
Research Technician II
Durham, NC 27710 United States
Research and Development
RESEARCH TECHNICIAN II, DHVI
The Duke Human Vaccine Institute (DHVI) continues to lead with cutting edge research to combat infectious diseases that impact global health. The investigators at the DHVI conduct basic and translational research to develop novel vaccines, therapeutics and diagnostics for diseases such as HIV-1, tuberculosis, influenza, malaria, Ebola, cytomegalovirus, Zika, etc.
With a new Pandemic Prevention Program (P3), we will be combining DHVI investigator’s world-class expertise in virology, immunology and clinical good manufacturing practice (CGMP) to create a fully integrated platform capable of responding to a viral pandemic threat. One aspect of the program will focus on virus isolation, propagation and quantification and is led by the Manager of the RBL Virology Unit.
We are recruiting a Research Technician II to work with the Virology Manager to perform the day-to-day research laboratory activities to meet the specific goals of this exciting new DHVI program:
• General laboratory maintenance including but not limited to: waste processing, glassware cleaning, laboratory organization, preparation of solutions, ordering/preparation/stocking of consumables and reagents as needed, maintaining accurate inventory of refrigerator and freezer contents.
• Generate quality controlled cell and virus cultures/stocks.
• Perform additional virology assays for virus detection, identification and quantification as necessary.
• Manage and complete all assigned tasks/projects in accordance with standardized operating procedures and in full compliance with safety protocols.
• Complete and maintain necessary documentation of research activities according to standardized record keeping in real time.
• Collect and organize raw data into reports for interpretation and analysis.
• Required to fully perform all tasks associated with animal models of viral infection in multiple species including but not limited to ferrets.
• Perform additional duties as requested by direct supervisor, Virology Unit Manager and Scientific/Administrative Directors.
Bachelors’ degree in biology, virology, microbiology, or other related scientific field.
No experience is required over the education requirements. Experience related to virology or microbiology research is preferred.
The successful applicant must be eligible for and willing to:
• Complete external certification for independent work at BSL3 and ABSL3
• Work with infectious biological agents (viruses) handled at BSL2 and BSL3
• Work with infected animals handled at ABSL2 and ABSL3
• Comply with vaccination requirements
• Complete Tier 1 Select Agent registration
North Carolina Biotechnology Center