Home / Jobs
(this posting is now closed/inactive)
Biotech Greenhouse Specialist I
Durham, NC 27713 United States
Under the supervision of the Greenhouse Manager, the candidate will be part of a team that will be responsible for the seeding, maintenance, propagation and transfections of plants in a state of the art greenhouse. He or she will provide critical support in the upstream production of recombinant vaccines in tobacco plants. The candidate will be responsible for documenting all results in support of manufacturing operations.
• Follow strict SOPs and work instructions for all greenhouse operations
• Perform seeding, thinning, transplanting, transfecting and harvesting of plants
• Perform fertilization and irrigation of plants in greenhouses and environmental chambers
• Perform support operations in the greenhouse: production of growth substrates and fertilizing solutions, cleaning tables and work areas, assessing plant growth
• Perform characterization of plant batches in the greenhouse (height, leaf area, soil pH, soil EC, etc.)
• Recording data in batch records to support production of vaccines
• Follow procedures for containment practices applicable to transgenic organisms
• Training in horticulture and research in biology or other related field or equivalent experience
• In depth understanding of plant health and fertilization/irrigation as it relates to soil pH/EC
• Good observation skills and good manual dexterity
• Ability to work well as part of a team and perform a variety of duties with minimal supervision
• Good organizational skills and excellent documentation skills including the ability to adhere to detailed operating procedures. Good computer skills required.
• Knowledge of cGMP or GLP principles is an advantage
• Experience with greenhouse automation a plus
• The employee is occasionally required to stand, up to 6 hours a day; walk; reach with hands and arm and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
No degree required, minimum of 2 years’ experience in plant biology, biology, horticulture, agronomy. Experience working in a greenhouse or biotech production environment is a plus.
North Carolina Biotechnology Center