Research and Development
Home / Jobs
(this posting is now closed/inactive)
Research Associate / Research Scientist / Senior Research Scientist
Durham, NC 27710 United States
Commensurate with experience
Research and Development
The Duke Division of Allergy and Immunology and Department of Immunology are currently seeking to fill Research Associate, Research Scientist and Senior Research Scientist positions to expand their Therapeutic Development Team. Scientists are responsible for the independent design and execution of experiments to provide proof-of-concept data for cellular immunotherapies and monoclonal antibodies (mAb) for therapeutic applications. These laboratory positions involve wet-lab bench research. Senior Research Scientists are additionally expected to play leadership roles in the development and manufacturing of these therapies for clinical trials.
These studies are supported in part through a sponsored research partnership with Cellective BioTherapy, Inc., an early stage biotech company located in RTP. Cellective BioTherapy is developing novel cellular and mAb-based platforms for treating cancer, autoimmunity, and immunodeficiency. This is a unique hands-on opportunity to move science from the laboratory to the bedside.
Primary responsibilities will include the following:
• Developing and validating protocols for the formulation and delivery of cellular and mAb therapies;
• Designing and executing proof-of-concept and optimization experiments to evaluate efficacy of cellular and mAb therapies using animal models of human disease;
• Executing in vitro cell culture and functional assays;
• Developing analytics for evaluating cellular and mAb therapy formulations;
• Identification of new delivery mechanisms and applications of cellular and mAb therapies;
• Reporting and presenting results to colleagues, leadership, and the scientific community.
Additional responsibilities for the Senior Research Scientist position include the following:
• Filing reports for internal use and for communication with partners;
• Directing lab meetings and participating in meetings with private and commercial research sponsors;
• Contributing to intellectual property development and prosecution;
• Generating SOPs, graphs, slides, protocols, manuscripts for publication, and other documents.
• Identifying and acquiring necessary equipment for in-house research scale and clinical trial production.
Requirements for success in the Research Associate and Research Scientist positions include the following:
• PhD in biological sciences or equivalent, with a minimum of 3 years related experience for Research Scientists.
• The ability to work successfully both independently and in a collaborative translational environment;
• Strong oral and written English communication skills demonstrated by publications in scientific journals and presentation at research conferences;
• Ability to handle and prioritize multiple complex tasks involving wet lab experiments and translational research projects effectively in a rapidly expanding academic research and therapeutic development environment;
• Research and development experience using both in vitro and in vivo assay systems, with experience using cellular or mAb therapies preferred.
In addition to the above requirements, success in the Senior Research Scientist positions will require the following:
• PhD in biological sciences or equivalent with a minimum of 5 years related experience and publications.
• Leadership experience in research, development, production, and analysis of delivery formulations;
• Experience writing and submitting regulatory documents preferred.
North Carolina Biotechnology Center