Home / Jobs
Job: Bioinformatic Scientist, GeneCentric Diagnostics, Inc., Durham, NC
Durham, NC 27701 United States
GeneCentric is seeking a Bioinformatics Scientist to join a growing team in Durham, North Carolina. GeneCentric is a biotech company developing novel cancer taxonomy diagnostics to facilitate more efficient drug development and improved patient care. The successful applicant will contribute to efforts developing novel computational tools for classification of tumors. He/She will support research activities and collaborative studies involving the use of complex algorithms for analysis of RNA and DNA sequence data and modeling to identify new associations. Ability to process raw sequencing data for variant identification and gene expression analysis, as well as skills for integrating diverse -omics data are required. Candidates with experience in the pharmaceutical industry are encouraged to apply.
Qualifications and Skills Required
• Proficiency in the use of bioinformatics tools (e.g. GATK, BLAST, BWA, SAMtools, Freebayes, etc. ), file formats (e.g. FASTQ, BED, BAM, VCR), and publicly available databases (e.g. GEO, ClinVar, GenBank, Ensemble, COSMIC, OMIM, Annovar, dbSNP, etc.).
• Proficiency in transcriptome profiling, differential expression, and functional profiling (e.g., STARaligner, TopHat, CuffLinks, Bowtie, Kallisto, Blast2Go)
• Strong Unix skills and programming ability in at least one of the following: R, Python, Java, or Perl.
• Experience applying statistical models, Bayesian Networks, and performing hypothesis testing.
• Strong oral and written communication skills for presenting analysis results internally and externally required.
Education and Experience
• PhD degree in Bioinformatics, Genomics, Statistics, Biostatistics, Computational Biology, or equivalent, with a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience.
• Masters level candidates with at least 5 years of relevant experience may be considered if they have the required knowledge and experience.
Do you know someone who would be interested in this job?
North Carolina Biotechnology Center